optima batteries or other options

mierdota

I was going to get an optima for my zj untill i called napa and they want over 200 for a red
Top Costco used to have them for a lot cheaper but no longer carry them. Anyone know who sells them for a better price or what is another comparable option? Also what would you recommend blue, red or yellow top? Thank you!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I was going to get an optima for my zj untill i called napa and they want over 200 for a red
Top Costco used to have them for a lot cheaper but no longer carry them. Anyone know who sells them for a better price or what is another comparable option? Also what would you recommend blue, red or yellow top? Thank you!

I can get you a certified used Optima with 90 day warranty for $120, I run them in both Jeeps and have one for the boat but also have sold one, neither of us have had any issues with any of the 4 used Optimas in the year we have been running them. If you plan to run a winch and lights the yellow tops are the way to go, but make sure the alternator can keep up. Let me know if I can help.

B2-Bomber

^^ I agree, YELLOW TOP (deep cycle) are my preference, i honestly had better luck with yellow than red, i had 2 reds fail each in a year or so, but the yellow has lasted me since summer of '09

i also had another red fail, but i don't blame the battery, the tie down broke and as we were bombing down a road it fell out and my buddy ran over it with his jeep
CIMG0011-2.jpg

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Optima batteries will explode into a cloud of asstasm without warning bringing the armies of teh suk down upon you. The best battery/service combo you can buy is the Sears Platinum AGM (made by Odessy). If you're afraid of spending $200 + for something good, then buy whatever is cheapest because Optima stopped being any good after the 90's ... true story.

The factory Red Top in my Jeep vomitted after 2 years and the Yellow Top I replaced it with vomitted 2 years later.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My red top has lasted me 4 years now, and even kept my motor running for two hours without being charged when my alt failed on top of a mountain, but I agree with JL - my next battery will be a Sears Platinum.

B2-Bomber

i thought the interstate gel-cell batteries were optimas with an interstate tag stuck on them? i bought my first red top from them years ago, and that is what it was

neagtea

Supporting Member
Optima batteries will explode into a cloud of asstasm without warning bringing the armies of teh suk down upon you. The best battery/service combo you can buy is the Sears Platinum AGM (made by Odessy). If you're afraid of spending $200 + for something good, then buy whatever is cheapest because Optima stopped being any good after the 90's ... true story.

The factory Red Top in my Jeep vomitted after 2 years and the Yellow Top I replaced it with vomitted 2 years later.

What color was the vomit?
I have had issue with optima when sitting for long periods. But that being said the old race car had one for like 8 years and had no issues.

Chevycrew

Odyssey AGM batteries are also available at orielly, autozone, etc, just under another name. I paid about 150 for mine.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm still a fan of Optimas, having just paid nearly $500 to replace the 'just out of warranty' Odyssey's in my Tacoma, I don't know that there is a truly better option for a sealed battery? While you hear more about failed Optimas, there are far more of them out there so its easy for them to have a target on their back. That isn't to say they don't fail because they absolutely can and do, but I can think of failed Orbitals (lots of them), new off the shelf Odyssey's, etc. If I wasn't too concerned with sealed aspect, I'd rock the AZ Duralast Gold. As I walked through the B1k contingency last I can say that the Optima is the battery of choice, of course with the budgets of many of these teams they put a new one in each race lol

I have found that chargers do in fact make a big difference, I ended up buying a CTEK charger and I think it has mad a difference in how the charge 'lasts' in the agm/gel sealed batteries.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Odyssey AGM batteries are also available at orielly, autozone, etc, just under another name. I paid about 150 for mine.

? Autozone sells Deka batteries as their top of the line but its definitely not an Odyssey. I've never seen an Odyssey at O'Reilly but I've not been looking.

Chevycrew

The deka is the same as the sears platinum...

Or at least they were when I bought mine last year. I remembered they were the same, but had to look it up again. Not the odyssey, but sears, az, orielly were all identical dekas when I researched them.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The deka is the same as the sears platinum...

Or at least they were when I bought mine last year. I remembered they were the same, but had to look it up again. Not the odyssey, but sears, az, orielly were all identical dekas when I researched them.

? Sears Platinums have been Odyssey for ~5 years, Deka is a totally different company as Odyssey though they have similar casings. I've never seen an Odyssey at AZ or a Deka at Sears but again I haven't been on the hunt there.

Bart

I've been going to Batteries Plus and I don't think you can beat their prices. I bought their version of the Optima for my last TJ and bought an Optima from them for the current buggy.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I bought walmarts top of the line for my expedition many years ago... it sat for the last 4 years with a solar 5watt panel hooked to it... about 6 months ago I took the panel off cause the battery was unable to unlock the doors with the remote so I figured the battery was dead...

last week I sold the expedition and had to get it from murray to farmington... well I jump started the beast and drove it home... I let it sit for about an hour while I changed clothes and ate dinner... I went out and was expecting to jump start it again but the damn thing fired right up! I found that the solar panel had died and the battery wasn't getting a charge but once it was charged back up it was almost good as new. I looked in my records and found I bought it back in 06 so it was 6 yrs old and I only paid $54 for it...
Now you can't beat that....

mierdota

I decided to go with a Kirkland battery from Costco, it has a 3 year full replacement and pro rated up to 8 years
For $83 bones i couldn't go wrong thanks for all the input I'll see how this works but my next one will be the Sears one my buddy called and told me about it right after i bought the Kirkland one.

I'm picking up a new battery today.... Few options:
Yellowtop from Sam's Club for $180
34/78 platinum from Sears for $220
34m (deep cycle) from Sears for $220

Opinions? Which will be longest lasting? Is the marine platinum from Sears also made by odyssey?

flexyfool

GDW

I think they were made in USA in the 90's. For quite some time they have been made in Mexico. Quality seems to have greatly suffered. I only still use them because I have battery mounts for them. Otherwise, I'd be using a high quality standard battery. I would never replace a standard battery with an Optima -- like in a car or tow rig.

I had a yellow top from the 90's last for 11 years in a Jeep. The battery was completely discharged about 1/2 dozen times through winching, sat for a couple 6 months stints without being used, and saw -45 degree F weather one winter. I sold it with the Jeep still working perfectly.

I have a red top in my buggy that is 6 years old. Never abused but sits for long times without being used. Still working perfectly.

Two years ago I bought a pair of yellow tops to use with the Painless dual battery kit. They never seemed to charge correctly and were very weak. Ran them down once and never could get them to charge again. Used a 1 amp trickle charger with a charged good battery. Still didn't work. I understand there are special chargers for the sealed cell batteries that don't require the above trick. Does anyone have experience with these special chargers?

I find it curious that when I took the batteries to be disposed of at the dump, there were several other Optimas sitting on the discard palette. With mine, that palette had 5 Optimas and about 15 other batteries.

I replaced them with a pair of red tops. One of these seems to be going bad. It only charges up to 11 something volts.

Last edited: