Outdoor security camera system install question.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've bought a camera system from Costco and am ready to start installing it but have a couple questions. I think I have the layout more or less sorted out but could use some help getting the wires run the best way since I don't have attic access where the cameras are going. Basically I am going to be putting two cameras on my porch and need to run the cables around the corner to the garage. I know I can get a vinyl siding tool to pop up a slat and get the cables back behind it but I'm not sure how to go around the corner and deal with the corner trim piece.

I checked older threads here for some info on this and know that there are some guys here that have installed systems like this or might have experience hiding cables, can any of you give some ideas on how to do this or suggest better methods? Thanks.

This is the system I bought from costco. My boss bought the same one on black friday and really likes it and a co-worker has a similar system that is a few years old with lower resolution and also is happy with the system. I opened up the DVR last night and connected a camera to test it out and was pleased with how easy it was to configure the DVR.

camera placement and wiring.jpg

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
You can pull the corner cap off also and run the wire behind. However, even if it goes on the outside just around the corner, no one will notice.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Subscribing, since I need to do the same job soon. (also with a system I bought at Costco :) )

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I do security for Comcast and have the pleasure of installing cameras all the time. I also have been in construction my whole life. Like you mentioned get a siding zipper tool. Which is simple to use just take your time unlocking and relocking the siding. The corner is easy ,they are just hollow you can either loosen a couple nails holding it and go behind it or just drill the size hole you need into each channel and just fish it through the corner piece. Silicone the holes and your good. Let me just say the one camera pointing straight down from above the door, unless you are using it to point all the way down the stairs and out to the street it will be useless. I find straight down to be one of the worst angles for seeing anything other then a possible bald spot on somebodies head. The one on the side of the garage...have you thought about moving it down along the wall more toward the rear of the house facing the gate. You will get a broader view of anything going on along the side of the home or anybody that approaches the or comes through the gate as well as that section of the driveway. The one in the front corner of the garage is a good spot, that can see anything that happens in the main part of the driveway. The other camera on the right of the porch. Are you going to try and push that as far to the right as possible? I have found you want to get broad views and pull a bit back from what you actually want to capture.. One suggestion is before making them permanently mounted, place them and make sure you are covering exactly what you want.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Badger, I forgot you did that. If you don't mind, tell me your thoughts on my potential setup. :cool:

I have a 4 camera system, and I'm thinking of some combination of the spots shown in the pic below. There is a back door roughly where the trampoline is, which camera #1 should show along with most of the back yard. I'm not sure if #2 or #3 would be best...and #4 could take the place of #3. #5 should show the front door and most of the front yard pretty well, I think. I might not have eyes very well on the left side yard, not sure the visual range of these cameras. Maybe I need to move one further left along the front of the house?

Camera locations.png

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Hey hey hey Carl? What do you think this is? Lol

Thanks a bunch for the feedback Badger. My thought on the camera right above the front door was to mount it so it would get a good face shot of someone walking up the stairs. I'd like to mount it just above the door for an optimal angle but don't think I'd like how that would look. Being that the stairs are the choke point I do want something focused there. I'll have to fiddle with positioning to get it how I want it.

I think I will move back the one on the side of the garage. Those are great tips and things​ to think about for positioning it the best way. The right side of the porch I did plan to put as far over as possible. The porch drops down on the sides and kind of boxes things in so I do have limitations there.

I have 8 cameras and only 4 slotted in my diagram. I had intended to put in at least one in my garage. I hadn't decided whether it would be best placed just inside the garage door to one side or at the top of some stairs near where the home entrance is. I think I also need to place one to cover the back sliding glass door but don't look forward to running the cable for that one although it shouldn't be too hard, it'll just be a long run.

My cables are 60' long and the power side can connect to each other already for extending them. On the signal side I'm sure I can extend by finding a simple​ bnc adapter. I'm not worried about throwing up all the cameras since I know my house footprint inst that big. Plus, I can use the spare cables to extend the linger runs.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Nate...
That's what I meant by as long as it's pointing down the stairs. You will get a nice face shot as they look up the steps as they walk up

attachment.php

Taking a guess as to how wide your cameras view Carl. Most are 90 to 110/115 degrees and most don't have good range. But guessing this might be good placement if you are just looking to cover the garage areas. I always look to face my cameras at points of entry. So if around the garage is the only easy way into the yard then that is the best place to cover. Most people aren't looking to hop over a 6' high privacy fence when they can walk around it. If they do and they decided to take something chances are again they are not going to go over the fence but take the easy way out. So I would say 5,3(could also be 4),2, and move 1 to the other corner

The only other thing I recommend if you are using wireless cameras is never place them inside. It's not an issue with the wired systems that you guys have gotten. With wireless cameras the are emitting a wireless signal that can be snagged by anybody. With the proper program I can see every wireless camera in close enough proximity to my house. That camera can be used to see whats in the home or if anybody is home. So if placed in a home I always point them right at the door so you get a clean shot of who comes through it and nothing else.

Attachments

• Camera locations1.jpg
    Camera locations1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I got my cables run for the cameras last Thursday and I have to say it was way easier to fiddle with the siding than I had thought. I had it in my head that it was going to be very difficult but it was not at all. The siding removal tool helped and I'm glad I had it but I probably could have done it without. I only have 2 of the 6 cameras mounted so far and didn't finish them up over the weekend like I had wanted but it seems like the tricky part of their placement is going to be getting the base oriented right for the available movement of the camera if that makes sense. It'll just take a bit of time on the ladder with the phone app open as I adjust the angles before screwing in the bases.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I have a problem locating the DVR next to the router and TV so have decided to go with the router and use streaming, computer and I phone. Attic access is not too good so do you just punch a hole through the wall and run the cables along the wall? Since I have stucco and rock exterior I am going to string the cables outside under the eves to 4 different locations. One of the runs will be about 50 feet and the other three will be 100 to 200 feet. Do you just coil up the excess cable or terminate it?
I also noticed that the satellite TV runs along under the eves as mentioned earlier in this post. Is it easy to access that area as I am not sure that is what you were talking about or were you talking about siding?

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Nate...
That's what I meant by as long as it's pointing down the stairs. You will get a nice face shot as they look up the steps as they walk up

attachment.php

Taking a guess as to how wide your cameras view Carl. Most are 90 to 110/115 degrees and most don't have good range. But guessing this might be good placement if you are just looking to cover the garage areas. I always look to face my cameras at points of entry. So if around the garage is the only easy way into the yard then that is the best place to cover. Most people aren't looking to hop over a 6' high privacy fence when they can walk around it. If they do and they decided to take something chances are again they are not going to go over the fence but take the easy way out. So I would say 5,3(could also be 4),2, and move 1 to the other corner

The only other thing I recommend if you are using wireless cameras is never place them inside. It's not an issue with the wired systems that you guys have gotten. With wireless cameras the are emitting a wireless signal that can be snagged by anybody. With the proper program I can see every wireless camera in close enough proximity to my house. That camera can be used to see whats in the home or if anybody is home. So if placed in a home I always point them right at the door so you get a clean shot of who comes through it and nothing else.

Knowing Carl's yard... I would take 3 and move it to 4. this way you more of the idiots coming thru the field to the east before they get to your yard. I have installed quite a few of the Qsee and they are a great camera and the dvr is pretty decent as well. The most important thing to look at is what Badger said... focus on the easy ways into and out of your yard. Then take 2 wires and install along the top of your fence and hook it to the 240volt outlet in your garage!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
i guess that link is dead. its a q see 8 channel system with 2 tb hard drive. analog video at 1080p. its a good picture and has worked well i think.