Panama - Things to see/do?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The misses and I have decided to take a trip to Central America, we've narrowed it down to Panama because I want to drive down and see the Darien Gap. We plan to rent a Hilux so we have wheels the entire time. We are going to head west to Santa Catalina for some scuba action and hopefully east at some point to Yaviza which is the end of the Pan American Hwy. Any other recommendations? Anyone done the Panama Canal tour? Worth it, too much, too long? LMK!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've never been there, but I've always thought that touring the Canal would be amazing seeing as it is one of the engineering marvels of the world. If you're planning on doing this next year, it will be the Canal's 100th anniversary. Might be some cool celebrations going on?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I would be like, 1000% interested in touring the canal if it were ME scheduling the trip. Lots to see there, engineering-wise. The scenery and like, malaria risk is just an added bonus.

ZUKEYPR

I have a a cooworker from Panama and happened to have just been there in the last few months. I can ask him. I do know however he was just talking about how the canal is nothing as you see on film or what peoples perception is.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've never been there, but I've always thought that touring the Canal would be amazing seeing as it is one of the engineering marvels of the world. If you're planning on doing this next year, it will be the Canal's 100th anniversary. Might be some cool celebrations going on?

I would be like, 1000% interested in touring the canal if it were ME scheduling the trip. Lots to see there, engineering-wise. The scenery and like, malaria risk is just an added bonus.

Agreed, I'm thinking the canal will be worthwhile.

I have a a cooworker from Panama and happened to have just been there in the last few months. I can ask him. I do know however he was just talking about how the canal is nothing as you see on film or what peoples perception is.

Interesting. Please do chat with him.

The canal tours I'm considering actually have you on a boat going through the locks, you can go either direction or both (long day), I think we would get our fill with a half day transit. I've got a good customer that I'm looking forward to hanging with as well as hopefully some other Cruiser guys down that way... they have a pretty big community and I'm hoping the rental Hilux can hang on a trail or two :D