Pivot Pin Advice ????

R

rockdog

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but here goes. I need to redo the pivot pins and the tubing that goes around them on an old bobtail dump truck bed. I'm also going to use the same stuff to redo the pivot points on the walking beam axles on my equipment trailer. (Tandum dual) I need probably 10 feet of 2" pin material and the same of tubing for the pin to rotate in. I have looked at Dom on keystones sight. I can get the tube in 2" inside diameter and 1/4" wall up to 3/4". I noticed that metal mart sells a cold drawn 2" round bar that they claim is pretty close tallerance. I need the two to be a real close fit. The walking beam axles are held straight by the pivot pins. Any of you guys with knowledge about this kind of thing, please chime in and give me direction on this. Other suppliers? Different material? Will these two work?:sick:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't know for certain, but I think they usually use hardened and ground shafts for the inside of the pivots. Something like these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#ground-rods/=thprsw

If that link doesn't work, this should be a 1" length of 2" diameter: http://www.mcmaster.com/#6061k38/=thpru6

Or just go to McMaster.com and search "hardened shafts" and see what you think. :D

If you use the 2" cold drawn bar inside 2" I.D. tube, that will be a press fit that you won't like. You need a little bit of play between the two pieces. The hardened rod has a tolerance of -.0006" to -.0013"...not sure if that's enough space or not, honestly. If the DOM is at all out of round, you'll end up with a tight fit again...

R

rockdog

Thanks Carl. That's why I'm asking. I have never done anything like this before and don't know metals enough to be sure what to use and where to get it.
Wow, I checked their website! I would need like 5' of shaft material. No way I can pay $800 for it. I'm pretty sure the pins on the dump bed aren't hardened. I haven't pulled the trailer apart yet.
I bought both of them on the surplus auction. I got bent over pretty bad on the truck from Salina City. They totally miss represented it! The trailer I got from the Price water district. They were totally up front with the problems it had.

Last edited by a moderator:

N8RB8R

Best Deal Spring in Payson Utah for all my heavy truck and trailer parts, they should have what you need in stock and are very helpfull.

R

rockdog

Best Deal Spring in Payson Utah for all my heavy truck and trailer parts, they should have what you need in stock and are very helpfull.
Would they have long pin material and the tube for it to fit in? PAGING AARON!!!! Yo, mister strippen gears!