Plane wreck above Alpine, anyone been to it?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've been waist deep in my AF Canyon research the last few weeks and I stumbled across an article that caught my fancy. It detailed the search for a Western Air Express Boeing 247-D that wrecked into the mountain above Alpine on Dec 15th, 1936. All 7 on board perished and it would be nearly 9 months before they found all the bodies :eek:. The search lasted several days and included Amelia Earhardt :cool: This of course is different than the bomber wreck on Timp.

Anyone been to the wreck site? Anything left?

"December 15, 1936
Western Air Express, Inc.
Boeing 247D (NC13370)
Near Salt Lake City, Utah

Western Air Express Trip No. 6 originated in Burbank, California with stops in Las Vegas, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah. During the approach to Salt Lake City, the flight encountered snow static which rendered the aircraft's navigation receivers inoperative.

Without a definite course to follow, the flight drifted east into mountainous terrain. WAL Trip 6 crashed into Lone Peak in the Wasatch Range killing all 7 passengers and crew.

An extensive search of the aircraft followed, which included Amelia Earhardt participating in the effort. The aircraft wreckage was eventually located during July 1937. (LostFlights Collection) "

http://www.lostflights.com/Aviation...Crash-Covers/5008090_rRB9pJ/315672348_6p8SJv4

Last edited:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I've actually looked for the Bomber wreck on Timp may moons ago... didn't find it. Had no idea about the one you're interested in though.

ricsrx

I want to get in on this as well,

on another note:
Mr and Mrs W H Pace left Delta Saturday to drive through the northern part of the state and Mrs Dean Fisher is visiting Fillmore with her parents this week.:rofl:

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've actually looked for the Bomber wreck on Timp may moons ago... didn't find it. Had no idea about the one you're interested in though.

Me neither, and I've spent a fair amount of time on the plane wreck databases over the years.

From Wiki:

"December 15, 1936 - Seven died when a Western Air Express Boeing 247[5] crashed just below Hardy Ridge on Lone Peak.[6] The major parts of the aircraft were hurled over the ridge and fell over a thousand feet into a basin below.[5]"

Gent that has a prop:
http://www.thunting.com/smf/aircraft/check_out_this_piece_of_history-t14753.0.html;wap2=

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I want to get in on this as well,

on another note:
Mr and Mrs W H Pace left Delta Saturday to drive through the northern part of the state and Mrs Dean Fisher is visiting Fillmore with her parents this week.:rofl:

You don't even know... I'm browsing through ~4500 articles right now (I think I actually crashed the U's library archive :D) in my AFC studies. About 75% of the references I'm getting are columns like "Hotel Gossip" and "Business News", stuff that is so trivial these days. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I seriously doubt you'd be able to see anything on Maps, given the proliferation of scrub oak, which is excellent at hiding things on the hillsides here.

I'll see if DOSS has been up there yet. That's pretty much literally his backyard these days.

rholbrook

There was a DC6 mail plane that crashes above Kaysville in Dec of 1975. Pieces are still all over the mountain and you can still see the impact craters. All 3 on board perished. I still remember the next day and all the excitement

sixstringsteve

There's supposed to be one near lake hardy (I think its the same one you're thinking of). We hiked it last year but didn't see any wreckage (the wreckage wasn't our main goal). Its treacherous terrain up there with very little progress in lots of time. I'd be game to go look for it, but it would definitely be an all day affair. Imagine a 5+ mile hike like the worst past of Pittsburgh lake trail, with bushwhacking and softball size loose granite all over the trail. :)

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here's our video of Lake Hardy. It sounds like it's in the boulder field to the north of the lake.

[video=youtube;_G5e3bL0YJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5e3bL0YJA[/video]

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Mystery plane crash remembered 75 years later said:
Marking the 75th anniversary of the ill-fated flight, Rulon McDaniels released his self-published book which includes many accounts of Alpine residents who assisted in the search, including the four men who discovered the crash site and split the thousand dollar reward.

Copies of the book are available for purchase by contacting Rulon McDaniels at 801-756-3318.

I think that book needs to be in the Cruiser Outfitters library. ;)