Plex, ChromeCast, and Media Servers. Nerds...what do you use?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
How are you guys streaming your digital libraries?

Please don't tell me you are using VHS or DVD players. We bought the Lego movie a couple weeks ago thinking we could play it on the laptop and AirPlay it to the TV. We were wrong. Since the only DVD player we have connects via component cables and neither of our TVs have those connections I ended up having to handbrake the dvd then load it into iTunes just to watch it. I was pissed because it took a while and it even came with a "digital copy" although I don't think you can call it that since it only works with "their" player and is locked.

A few years ago I ripped all of our DVDs and put them on a box that was basically just running as an iTunes server. Since then we have only bought or rented movies via iTunes and/or used NetFlix for other veg content. My Apple tvs aren't running that great anymore and I have been thinking about turning that iTunes box into a FreeNas server so it'll auto backup my wifes laptop since she won't ever do it manually. I also have recently bought a ChromeCast and have toyed with it a little, I've looked at using Plex to push the videos to the TV.

I'm comfortable enough using Mac, Linux, and Windows. Looking for info on what works for you and your family. Easy to navigate is best so that the wife'll use it too.

Caleb

All my media is 100% digital. I use Plex Media Server and iTunes. At each TV I have AppleTVs. I use iTunes because it just works™ but I also use Plex Media Server because it allows me to stream my content from anywhere. They use the same Library backend so everything is only stored once. I personally think the idea of Chromecast is stupid. I don't want to have to use one device (phone, tablet, etc) to stream from another device (whatever is serving your content) to stream to a third device (the chromecast). I've almost bought one multiple times, because they're only a few bucks, but quickly talk myself out of it. I've had several Roku boxes over the years and I've ended up giving them all away as I can't stand their interface layout, the only way to stream local content is through Plex (not terrible, but again plex on Roku is a horrible experience), and their interface is super laggy. IMO, the best setup is to use Plex Media Server and Plex Connect on your AppleTV (as long as you have a gen 2 or later...i.e. a black one, Plex Connect works fine). You do need a place to store your media files, I really loved my freenas setup, but I encountered more than once silent corruption on the ZFS filesystem. I now use a Drobo 5D with 4TB WD Red drives and have been super happy with it. I could have bought the 5N for less, but have no need for the network connectivity and I wanted the speed of using thunderbolt.

I could go on forever about media setups :D If you have other questions, ask.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
We use Chromecast and love it. Initially we used our Panasonic Bluray player that interfaced via Viera link to the Panasonic tv...the UI sucks.

Chromecast loads quickly and is easily controlled by us and our kids using our phones and tablets.

Look, for $35 bucks it is a great option.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Please don't tell me you are using VHS or DVD players.

Uh, yeah. Well, not the VHS player, tho I think the wife still has one sitting around somewhere. But we use the PS3 to stream Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, and the PS3 to watch DVDs if that's the mood. We only have the one TV so it seems a little silly to reinvent the wheel, you know?

skeptic

Hmm, how to answer this question... Let me just list what I use and have used in the past then answer any questions. They key point is my media, recorded tv shows, etc. are available on all TVs, PCs, smart phones, tablets, etc. in my house. If I had to start from scratch I would probably do things slightly differently, but I've been doing this for several years and my current setup is a result of options available years ago and changes over time.

Current:
Server 1 - miniPC running MythTV (central PVR), XBMC centralized database, 3TB USB (network shared).
Server 2 - miniPC running PlexMediaServer
HDHomeRun Dual + OTA antenna - Dual tuner network based TV tuner, all my TV comes through this
FireTV - My main TV, running XBMC, Plex, Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Roku 3 and Roku Streaming stick- Plex, Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Android tablet - running DroidTV, shows get copied to the server
Chromecast - used ONLY for casting "web only" Hulu shows from my PC.

Recently retired:
G-Box Midnight MX2 (Android streaming box) - XBMC, Netflix, Hulu, etc.
multiple miniPCs - Mainly XBMC
HDHomeRun Prime - 3 tuner network based tv tuner that can record encrypted cable channels

Notes:
XBMC is much better than Plex. It supports several PVR backends for live/recorded tv, far more plugins, plays all my movies, and just looks nicer. Unfortunately it's not supported on Roku which is why when I bought a Roku the miniPC/XBMC box it replaced became a Plex media server.
I cut cable a few months ago. I'm saving money and I don't miss it at all.
DroidTV has become a big part of my setup. It's an Android-only app that is billed as an Internet based PVR. I'm not quite sure how it's legal, and like Aereo I suspect it wouldn't stand up to a court case, but for now it's not illegal. Basically, for very cheap you get access to tons of shows within a couple days of them airing. Regular network stuff, plus premium channel shows like Game of Thrones, True Blood, etc.

If DroidTV interests you, buy the lifetime subscription for $50 today. At midnight the prices are going up from roughly $50/year or ~$3/month to $120 for lifetime, $40/year, $13/3 months, $7/month.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I use Plex Media Server and iTunes. At each TV I have AppleTVs. I use iTunes because it just works™ but I also use Plex Media Server because it allows me to stream my content from anywhere. They use the same Library backend so everything is only stored once.

That has been my same experience with iTunes. Like many other Apple things the interface is just simple and easy to navigate.

IMO, the best setup is to use Plex Media Server and Plex Connect on your AppleTV (as long as you have a gen 2 or later...i.e. a black one, Plex Connect works fine).

I guess I had forgotten about the silver ATVs. Mine are the second and third gen. I wasn't aware that ATV supported Plex. I'll for sure have to look at that some more.
EDIT: It looks like you have to jailbreak the ATV then install Plex for this to work.

You do need a place to store your media files, I really loved my freenas setup, but I encountered more than once silent corruption on the ZFS filesystem. I now use a Drobo 5D with 4TB WD Red drives and have been super happy with it.

I would love a Drobo but so far haven't bought one mainly due to price. It always seems that there is something else I want to spend my spare money on. That is the main reason I was looking at FreeNas, I already have the hardware and the software is free. Its too bad that your FS corrupted, I'd be pissed if I lost my movies. It took so long to rip them all from DVD.

I bought the ChromeCast during the World Cup. I don't have cable so when the games weren't on regular TV I had to resort to internet streams. Univision had all the games accessible on their site so I watched a lot in Spanish. I tend to have a 50/50 failure to airstream my desktop with my ATVs and when it does work my ratios are all messed up. The ChromeCast worked fantastic for that purpose and even if I don't ever use it again it was worth the $35 to be able to watch the soccer games on the larger screen.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Skeptic-

Why are you running PlexMediaServer on a separate box? It looks like all your media and stuff is stored on Server #1 including XBMC and whatnot. Will PlexMS not run in the same place as XBMC?

Does that HDHomeRun get you "premium" content? I guess I'm not sure how it is different from an OTA signal or where the benefit is.

It looks like all of your other devices on your list are middle men basically only there to get content from the server to the TV.

It seems like XBMC and Plex are fairly similar. You say that you prefer XBMC but Plex seems to have more mainstream compatibility. Is this correct? If i'm not interested in recording live TV does XBMC have other benefits over Plex?
Thanks for sharing your setup.

Last edited:

skeptic

Skeptic-

Why are you running PlexMediaServer on a separate box? It looks like all your media and stuff is stored on Server #1 including XBMC and whatnot. Will PlexMS not run in the same place as XBMC?
My servers are low power miniPCs (dual core celerons in this case). One key difference between XBMC and Plex is Plex will transcode the video on the fly on the server to a format it believes is compatible with the client. This takes CPU power, and when I first set it up with everything on one miniPC the Plex transcoding couldn't keep up. I have since transcoded all my files to a format compatible with Roku (simple batch job, but it ran for 1-2 weeks). At this point I could run PlexMediaServer on the same box and I'm sure it would be fine, but why bother?

Does that HDHomeRun get you "premium" content? I guess I'm not sure how it is different from an OTA signal or where the benefit is.
Well, if you want to get into the technicalities, HDHomeRun Prime will allow you to use a cable m-card to decrypt anything comcast (or whoever your cable provider is) marks as "copy freely". I didn't have HBO/Showtime/etc. so I don't know about those, but the cable m-card was required for, and worked with, the expanded channels. Shortly before I canceled cable I was down to the bare minimum basic cable package and Comcast started encrypting those as well. Basically, every single channel from Comcast is now encrypted here and the HDHomeRun prime is able to tune every channel I paid for. The other HDHomeRun box I have does not decrypt anything, so it's only good for unencrypted cable and OTA (antenna).

Think of HDHomeRun (prime or not) as just a TV tuner card in your PC. The difference being it's not actually a card in your PC, it's on the network. If you have cable, you need a Prime + cable m-card from your cable company (this replaces the set top box they want to rent to you). If you have an antenna, you need a non-prime version as the prime versions are cable (QAM) only and cannot receive OTA.

It looks like all of your other devices on your list are middle men basically only there to get content from the server to the TV.

It seems like XBMC and Plex are fairly similar. You say that you prefer XBMC but Plex seems to have more mainstream compatibility. Is this correct?
Correct, Plex was originally a fork of XBMC (several years ago) and went a different direction. In many ways they are very similar, but they are also very different in other ways. Plex is definitely more commercialized, officially supported, and clients for some devices you have to pay for. We could spend an entire thread comparing the two, but a few key points: Roku does not allow XBMC on Roku devices. XBMC makes it much easier to install gray area plugins (i.e. - it's trivial to watch movies still in theaters on XBMC). Plex is much easier to setup a centralized database of your movies, this is the default for Plex, while XBMC requires you to create a database then point local clients to this database to share media info. Plex transcodes videos on the server on the fly, XBMC transcodes on the client (overly simplistic and not 100% accurate, but that's the basic idea). XBMC is highly customizable and looks great, Plex is ugly.

edit: left out the most important item - XBMC supports several PVR backends. This means you can watch live/recorded TV through XBMC using any of several PVR backends. I believe there are a couple ways to do this via Plex as well, but it's far more limited and may not support any of the free PVR options.
I don't claim to be an expert or to know every detail on this stuff, but I've been doing this for 10+ years and used many different setups. When I sit down in from of my TV I pick up a remote (not a keyboard/mouse) and have easy access to all my media. Live TV, recorded shows, DVD collection, music, music videos... Any questions or suggestions, I'm happy to share my experiences and offer suggestions.

Last edited:

Caleb

EDIT: It looks like you have to jailbreak the ATV then install Plex for this to work.

You don't need to jail break for plex connect. Plex Connect runs on the same machine your PMS is running on, then you load a cert from Plex Connect (loaded by entering a url) and point your DNS on your Apple TV to the PMS server. It then uses the Trailers app and hijacks those calls turning Trailers in to Plex. No jailbreaking necessary and only take about 5 minutes to get it completely setup.

It seems like XBMC and Plex are fairly similar. You say that you prefer XBMC but Plex seems to have more mainstream compatibility. Is this correct? If i'm not interested in recording live TV does XBMC have other benefits over Plex?

That is very true, they are similar because Plex forked from XBMC a few years ago. Plex si becoming way more mainstream, it's showing up on most new TVs and media devices, etc. XBMC is good, but still in the dark ages (IMO). Plex has evolved hugely since forking and (again, my opinion :D) is a way better media center. I don't mess with all the MythTV crap for my content, not necessary when you have usenet, etc :) The biggest downside for me to XBMC is that it doesn't do any kind of on the fly conversion of your videos (down sampling for remote viewing, etc). So if you do ever want to view media remotely, you'll have to manually setup the port forwarding, and then hope you have a screaming fast connection to stream those Full HD videos. Plex will allow streaming externally without any work on your part, it will also down sample your videos to what ever bandwidth your device has available. I can stream a 1080p source video over my cell phone connection without any problem because of this.

The biggest downfall to any of these is getting the content from them to your TV and having a clean setup. Most of them have great client interfaces, but if you don't want a PC sitting next to your TV, they don't have good devices to play that content on your TV. That's why I like the AppleTV, it's a clean client device and it can (without jailbreaking) connect to my plex setup, or stream from my iTunes library. It also has great Netflix/Hulu apps, and has the MLS Live app too for all my MLS games :D

I will admit, XBMC is way more customizable, however I don't want to screw around with my home media setup because 99% of the time, it's my wife or 4 year old boy that are using it. I want it to be simple and just work. I have to deal with developer's problems all day, I don't want to go home and have to do more screwing around just so my by can watch Ninja Turtle. :)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
To be honest I feel I fail with a strategy for my media. I put my media on a USB stick and stick it in the side of my Roku and play the thing. I've used various media players in the past but I don't care about it enough to be consistent. I got co-workers that use Plex and Servio but I haven't gone through the work to set them up.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I will admit, XBMC is way more customizable, however I don't want to screw around with my home media setup because 99% of the time, it's my wife or 4 year old boy that are using it. I want it to be simple and just work. I have to deal with developer's problems all day, I don't want to go home and have to do more screwing around just so my by can watch Ninja Turtle. :)

I think this is the ringer. My wife ends up sitting on the couch right in front of the TV that has a built in netflix app and an apple tv connected to it with her laptop on her lap streaming netflix. I try to keep things simple but I guess there is always room for improvement.

I got co-workers that use Plex and Servio but I haven't gone through the work to set them up.

I've had cobbled together systems in the past that I could navigate but I'm wanting things to just be streamline. Today, I guess I'm willing to do the work to get things sorted but I may feel different tomorrow or next week. I'm glad I posted this up, this has been some great information.

Last night I did surgery on our 2008 iMac and threw in a 3 TB HDD. I did a clean install and got it all patched up then started to move movies from my laptop to the new "storage." I typically rip stuff on my laptop and then drop it to the itunes server but hadn't done it in a while. It seemed to copy everything over okay last night so I'll take a closer peak at PlexConnect and see about getting Plex Server installed as well. The other thing I was thinking about as I did all this on my kitchen bar was that I wanted to mount the iMac on a swivel arm on the wall above the bar that I could move around while playing in the kitchen. I do a lot of the cooking and like to have a documentary or old episodes from Top Gear playing in the background while I'm working. I also have a lot of recipes and stuff online that I'll reference. I usually have my laptop open but its just in the way. I found this arm and this adapter plate on monoprice for next to nothing, I need to double check a couple things before I order them but think they should work just fine. This makes me want to get my library all sorted out even more.

skeptic

That is very true, they are similar because Plex forked from XBMC a few years ago. Plex si becoming way more mainstream, it's showing up on most new TVs and media devices, etc. XBMC is good, but still in the dark ages (IMO). Plex has evolved hugely since forking and (again, my opinion :D) is a way better media center. I don't mess with all the MythTV crap for my content, not necessary when you have usenet, etc :) The biggest downside for me to XBMC is that it doesn't do any kind of on the fly conversion of your videos (down sampling for remote viewing, etc). So if you do ever want to view media remotely, you'll have to manually setup the port forwarding, and then hope you have a screaming fast connection to stream those Full HD videos. Plex will allow streaming externally without any work on your part, it will also down sample your videos to what ever bandwidth your device has available. I can stream a 1080p source video over my cell phone connection without any problem because of this.
I completely forgot about the remote streaming ability of Plex. It's something I've never used and never wanted to use, but if it's an ability you want then Plex is definitely a better choice. The downside to this is you need PlexMediaServer running on a box powerful enough for on-the-fly transcoding. Not a big deal, especially if you are building a server specifically for this or using a reasonably powerful desktop/laptop that you leave running, but my re-purposed miniPC was not up to the task.

As for MythTV vs. Usenet... Let's just say I'm trying my best to stay legal. Back when I started this many years ago MythTV was the best/only option. If I had to start from scratch today I'd go with something different. In fact, DroidTV alone is probably good enough on it's own to cover all my recorded TV needs. However, just like usenet it doesn't replace watching live TV (NFL is pretty much the only thing I watch live). You can get around this by watching live streams from questionable sites (watching NFL streams is the only gray area media I watch, and I do this through XBMC).

The biggest downfall to any of these is getting the content from them to your TV and having a clean setup. Most of them have great client interfaces, but if you don't want a PC sitting next to your TV, they don't have good devices to play that content on your TV. That's why I like the AppleTV, it's a clean client device and it can (without jailbreaking) connect to my plex setup, or stream from my iTunes library. It also has great Netflix/Hulu apps, and has the MLS Live app too for all my MLS games :D
miniPCs running OpenElec (embedded XBMC) or Linux/Windows, Roku, FireTV, Android boxes, AppleTV... Lots of choices. IMHO, if all you want is XBMC/Plex you are better off with a miniPC or generic Android Box. If you want Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime, Vudu, iTunes, etc. then you're better off with Roku/FireTV/AppleTV - whichever is going to best support your streaming service of choice.
Not sure I follow. Are you talking about day to day use or initial setup? Initial setup is about as complicated as what your description of getting Plex running on AppleTV sounds like. After that, it just works. Plex is easier, but XBMC w/centralized database isn't hard. Multiple XBMC clients all sharing the same videos but each with their own database is trivial.

Since we are getting into streaming devices, the new Android TV devices (not to be confused with generic Android boxes sometimes called Android TV boxes or their original Google TV failure) coming out soon sound very promising. I know some people are Apple fans (and some are fanatics) and are ingrained in iTunes making non-Apple products inconvenient.

skeptic

It seemed to copy everything over okay last night so I'll take a closer peak at PlexConnect and see about getting Plex Server installed as well. The other thing I was thinking about as I did all this on my kitchen bar was that I wanted to mount the iMac on a swivel arm on the wall above the bar that I could move around while playing in the kitchen. I do a lot of the cooking and like to have a documentary or old episodes from Top Gear playing in the background while I'm working. I also have a lot of recipes and stuff online that I'll reference. I usually have my laptop open but its just in the way. I found this arm and this adapter plate on monoprice for next to nothing, I need to double check a couple things before I order them but think they should work just fine. This makes me want to get my library all sorted out even more.

Getting way off topic, but why not use a tablet for this?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't think its off topic its media consumption.

I've got a 24" iMac that hasn't been used since we got my wife a laptop about 18 months ago for school. Its more because I have already got the hardware and could put it to use than anything.

Last edited:

skeptic

I've got a 24" iMac that hasn't been used since we got my wife a laptop about 18 months ago for school. Its more because I have already got the hardware and could put it to use than anything.

Sell it and use the money for a tablet? Just seems to me a kitchen setup would be much better with a tablet. Touchscreen instead of keyboard/mouse, smaller and easier to position, a plethora of recipe type apps... A tablet doesn't make for a good general use device, but it seems perfect for something like a kitchen device.