Plumbing: Eliminating a Manabloc or Viega distribution manifold.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This stupid thing:

D32DEA6E-DFA8-40A7-9791-2FC5A5553968.jpeg

As you can see by the white water stains on the hot side of the manifold, it’s leaking. You can replace the O-rings in each valve, but touching any of these valves usually ensures a new leak. Several of my neighbors have had flooded basements when the manifold bursts. I would like to eliminate it.

What advice do y’all have on such an endeavor?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The other issue I have with these manifolds is the large amount of water I waste when I need hot water. There's 45-50 feet of plastic line that's filled with cooled water that has to be run into the drain before new hot water reaches the shower head. I think I'd like to tap into the main hot line soon after it comes out of the WH, which is almost directly under the shower.

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
The other issue I have with these manifolds is the large amount of water I waste when I need hot water. There's 45-50 feet of plastic line that's filled with cooled water that has to be run into the drain before new hot water reaches the shower head. I think I'd like to tap into the main hot line soon after it comes out of the WH, which is almost directly under the shower.

We recently had a hot water circulater installed. It is lovely. No more waiting for hot water. Not sure that's works with your system.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'll bet those hot line couplers are leaking from years of expanding/contracting from the heat flowing in and cooling down.

I'd just replace the whole manifold with ball valves and copper. You can bench make the copper manifold then adapt/crimp the old lines back on.

shortstraw8

I just redid my moms plumbing and used the 8 port copper manifold that is open at both ends and put 3/4" 1/4 ball valve on the bottom for easy line draining and should make swapping out a single ballvalve if needed easier.
I would like to rerun all the hot water to make a loop back to the HWtank so it is always moving hot water through the line just need to finish some other projects now that cabinets and countertops are in the bathroom 6months past the scheduled install date.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'll bet those hot line couplers are leaking from years of expanding/contracting from the heat flowing in and cooling down.

I'd just replace the whole manifold with ball valves and copper. You can bench make the copper manifold then adapt/crimp the old lines back on.
It’s actually the valves that leak, but I’m sure you’re right about the expansion and contraction.