Wanted Polaris air cooled snowmobile motor

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My kids were up riding snowmobiles up on my friends ranch and my old 90's vintage Polaris lost a motor. I haven't torn it down yet but it feels like the rods busted. Before I tear it apart to see if it is rebuildable does anyone have a 440 or 500 Polaris air cooled motor laying around that runs ?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My kids were up riding snowmobiles up on my friends ranch and my old 90's vintage Polaris lost a motor. I haven't torn it down yet but it feels like the rods busted. Before I tear it apart to see if it is rebuildable does anyone have a 440 or 500 Polaris air cooled motor laying around that runs ?
I have a good friend (surprise) that's into vintage snowmobile stuff. He may know someone? I'll ping him tomorrow

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I’m not sure exactly what they do, if they sell parts, etc but there is a shop a block from me in South Murray that has racks and containers full of vintage snowmobiles. 6650 South Cottonwood Street in Murray.

E728DC25-0992-48F2-A26D-36889D39800D.jpeg

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I pulled the engine apart and one of the pistons melted. What felt like a broken rod was actually piston chunks hitting the crank. The good piston looks to have a fair amount of wear as you can see past the piston at the rings. I wonder if the melted one got blow by or if it got a lean fuel mixture.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
That's tempting, I do have a 440 motor in the basement that needs a top end rebuild maybe I'll get the parts and fix it up. The sled had a dead 440 when I picked it up years ago.