Powder coating factory wheels?

DAA

Supporting Member
So I'm looking to spruce up my beat up pig looking '02 LX470 just a bit before I give it to my daughter here in about four months.

I've never given a crap what it looks like. But, daughter will probably give many craps what it looks like... I'm not going to spring for any body work or paint, dents are going to be included, but I'll buff out what's there and put as much shine as it will still take on it. Put some new seat covers and floor mats in. Stink bomb it maybe.

One place I think it could be made to look a lot better is the wheels.

It has the factory alloy wheels and while they looked pretty good new, they look like a hundred square miles of trampled wet poo right now. Somehow, they aren't even all the same color anymore (yes all original, but have not weathered evenly, like big time not evenly, lol!). But, they're still Toyota factory alloy wheels and better quality than any aftermarket wheels I'd be willing to pay for. And I think if they could be made to look newish, it would help the over all look of the rig a lot.

I'm thinking just plain silver with a clear coat.

So, anybody ever had aluminum wheels blasted and powder coated? How did it turn out? How much did it cost (about)? Worth it?

Thanks!

- DAA

Caleb

I've never had it done and I haven't even gotten it quoted before but I've always heard to plan ~$100 per wheel.

Reactions: DAA

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I've had it done before. I had Full Blown Coatings do a set on one of my Cruisers, and it was ~$60/wheel for a 16" wheel. They will blast it down to bare metal, apply a Zinc primer, then coat them the color of your choice. I just went with a satin black, but as long as you choose a normal color (which silver should be) I'd bet your price would be the same. Keep in mind that it might take a week or two to have that all done. Also, you'd have to have the tires removed beforehand, as FBC doesn't have a tire machine.

I did have to clean a little bit of errant coating off of the wheel mounting surfaces even though they will mask that area off - you don't want ANY coating on the surface where they bolt to the truck or you could have issues with the wheel coming loose. Even with that, I would (and will) do it again without hesitation.

DAA

Supporting Member
Right on. I'll follow up on both of you guys leads.

Having the rig down for a week or two kinda sucks, but I'm not going to have it as my DD anymore at all here pretty soon so I guess I can think of it as just getting used to the situation.

- DAA

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've had great luck with both Full Blown Coatings, and Armor Powder Coating as well. In fact I was just over at FBC's new shop last week. All good dudes.