Power Steering on CJ with FSJ box????

koondawg

Has anyone used a FSJ box on their CJ? I have a box out of a 84 FSJ Wagoneer. The coupler is different than the CJ and I can not figure out how to make it work. Any ideas, suggestions, whatever. Should I even use this thing or sell it and get a CJ box?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
There are 2 couplers. The Stock CJ Power steering input shaft is a different size than the Manual. I think the power is 13/16" and the manual is 3/4". The Wagoneer is probably 3/4". I think they used a rag-joint in the wagoneers so you will have to take off the rag-joint and use one of the CJ couplers.

koondawg

Tried that

I tried that and no go. the FSJ box has a flat part on the male part with teeth?? That the couple goes on to. I have both a manual and power steering shaft off CJ, neither will work?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If I remember right the flat part is for where the bolt goes through the coupler.
I think it took some persuasion to get the coupler on mine...
Why is it not fitting? too big? too small? wrong spline count? Bolt too tight on the coupler?

koondawg

Not fitting

It looks like the bolt is supposed to go past the flat part? I might be able to pound it on there, did not try THAT hard. how do you like yours? Is that what you did? Once I get it on, how do I make sure everthing lines up straight?

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think I took the bolt out when I put the coupler on. Then I had to tap it with a hammer. As for making sure everything is straight :ugh: My steering wheel is turned a little but I wasn't worried about it.

koondawg

cool

I will give it a try with the hammer, how do you like yours? is it better than a normal cj box? what size tires you runnin?