Power Transmission Line Through Recreation Properties

DToy

Thought I'd throw this out to my fellow RME'ers:

I am a landowner (10 acres) in Argyle Canyon (South end of Indian Canyon, Duchesne County). In a nutshell, Pacificorp has a proposed transmission line project that will run from Wyoming to Mona. Pacificorp's preferred route goes around Argyle Canyon. BLM seems hell-bent on running it right through Argyle, which will impact and destroy hundreds of recreational properties and cabins. No one at BLM can give us a straight answer as to why they disagree with Pacificorp's proposed route. We were told at the BLM's open house that the BLM always wins. We would appreciate anyone who would email the BLM and help us oppose their preferred routing GatewaySouth_WYMail@blm.gov.

Channel 4 did a great job of portraying the facts: http://http://www.4utah.com/story/d/story/new-400-mile-power-line-project-has-some-property/24258/yJjMHFv9iEmxhXEytdZYYQ If you know anyone who could help us change the BLM's mind please let me know. Thanks.

carsonc1974

It is unfortunate that you are facing this issue. I work on projects like this for a living, and you are correct BLM usually wins. To build a project like this, that is mostly on public, BLM land, you have to make many concessions to them or they simply will not give you easement for the rest of the line. It is definitely difficult situation for P-CORP and the public, As a contractor, it also makes it difficult. We we first started our project out south near Tooele, we had to take all the stickers off our trucks and were instructed not to wear our company garb because some were so unhappy.

I will add, if this line is approved, and it crosses your land, They will win in court if you take it that far. They will argue for eminent domain, and from what I can tell, they usually get it. From what I've experienced, they usually offer more then a judge will issue in an eminent domain case.

DToy

It is unfortunate that you are facing this issue. I work on projects like this for a living, and you are correct BLM usually wins. To build a project like this, that is mostly on public, BLM land, you have to make many concessions to them or they simply will not give you easement for the rest of the line. It is definitely difficult situation for P-CORP and the public, As a contractor, it also makes it difficult. We we first started our project out south near Tooele, we had to take all the stickers off our trucks and were instructed not to wear our company garb because some were so unhappy.

I will add, if this line is approved, and it crosses your land, They will win in court if you take it that far. They will argue for eminent domain, and from what I can tell, they usually get it. From what I've experienced, they usually offer more then a judge will issue in an eminent domain case.

Unfortunately what you've seen seems to be exactly what we are facing. We get the fact that the project is needed and don't begrudge that, but it seems that the BLM is completely taking a blind-eye to our concerns, with no concrete evidence or justification to support the route that they prefer. So sad that we've let these federal agencies gain so much power and authority that they can run over the common, hard-working citizens of this country, and there appears to be nothing we can do about it. We're fighting the BLM's route as much as we can and know how to, but feeling pretty discouraged at our chances of persuading them to consider an alternate around our properties.

carsonc1974

I will ask around and see if i can get an idea why they have a differing preferred route then pacificorp. My guess is there is some sort of protected cultural site on the other route, they dont give up the locations of those to public so that may be a reason they arn't talking.

DToy

I don't understand why it "destroys" the land for recreational use?

Well, they will have a 250' wide easement. The tower structures will be 140'-200' tall. Not only that, but once they are granted the easement there are 3-4 other proposed future lines that will run along the same corridor. They have indicated that they have to clear all the trees, vegetation, cabins, outbuildings, etc. within the easement. This area is heavily forested. It should not be difficult to understand how that destroys the land for recreational use. Our land is full of pine and aspen trees. Our lot is 330' wide. If they cut a 250' swath out of it and tear down our cabin what are we left with? What do you think that does to the hunting and wildlife in the area? Then, not only to we get to look at the massive structures and lines, but we get to sit where we used to enjoy the peace and quiet and listen to the hum of 500kV lines above us, and feel the electric and magnetic field created. When is the last time you went and camped directly under a 500kV transmission line? Is that what you look for when you're choosing a camp spot?

We're not a bunch of rich, whiny, arrogant cabin owners. We scrimped and saved and sacrificed to buy our land. We built and are still building our cabin on a pay-as-you-go basis. We live in an older house, forego lengthy, traditional family vacations, drive vehicles that are 10+ years old, so that we can have a place to take our kids to get away from the electronic distractions and hustle and bustle of everyday life. That is what we're trying to preserve.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Just a thought, and it doesn't really help with getting the project stopped, but I would recommend getting your property appraised soon. That way if they try to force eminent domain on you, you can point to a recent appraisal and argue for a better price than what they are sure to claim is "Fair market value".

carsonc1974

Just a thought, and it doesn't really help with getting the project stopped, but I would recommend getting your property appraised soon. That way if they try to force eminent domain on you, you can point to a recent appraisal and argue for a better price than what they are sure to claim is "Fair market value".

good advice.

DToy

Thanks for the suggestion...it probably is a wise thought, thought it's hard to wrap my head around it actually happening. No way an appraiser could ever put a price on the lost time, opportunities, and experiences with our families that we would suffer.

flexyfool

GDW
The community should commission an environmental impact study. Naturally, the study will conclude that running the power line down the canyon will have serious negative impacts to the environment rather than running it up in the hills or on a ridge line. Even the most minor thing can cause trails/roads to be shutdown such as crossing a seasonal wet spot, erosion into a stream, the claimed spotting of a nesting eagle nearby. Use the foundation the environmentalists have laid to your advantage. I would assume that if 20 landowners swear to have spotted a pair of nesting bald eagles, and photos appear, the situation will get very interesting very fast.

Last edited:

MattL

Dude i feel your pain.
I was feeling some of the same when Pacificorp laid out the plans for the gateway west transmission line project in southern idaho.