Dodge Power Wagon build (x2)

xjtony

Thanks for all the input guys. Kind of how I was leaning as well. It's going in my kids truck so we are going to do it right. I checked today and pistons and rings are available off the shelf up to .060 overbore. Everything else looks really good other than a little surface rust here and there. To the machine shop we go!

xjtony

The plan is slowly coming together. I still have some fittings and little stuff to install it but it's going to look cool!
20220422_143712_HDR.jpg
20220422_144013_HDR.jpg

I still need to wrap the headers and build a 2.5 inch exhaust, but I now have most of the stuff needed for the engine part of the build. The axle swap, suspension, Atlas and 5 speed swap will all kind of happen together, but that will probably wait until we get the block back for my son's truck and get it built.

Last edited:

xjtony

Got to spend a little time in the garage today. After a TON of grinding (as you can see by the dust everywhere) the D60 is cleaned up from the truss and the 4 link stuff. I am getting lucky with this one. Placing the leaf perch in the same spot as the cast in one I end up within 1/4 inch of where the leafs will fall in their stock location.
20220424_113531_HDR.jpg
I still need to rebuild the kingpins, install the new hi steer arms and hardware and rebuild the knuckles but it's close to ready to mock up under the truck

xjtony

Well my kid and one of his friends got the old 318 out of his truck, stripped everything out of the engine bay and got it painted and ready for the new block. They asked a few questions but overall did it by themselves. He even organized all the hardware in bags. It's nice when you see your kid has picked up some of the things that you've taught them over the years. Unfortunately my garage looks like a homeless hurricane hit, so he picked that up too lol
20220430_193432_HDR.jpg
20220430_193428_HDR.jpg

xjtony

Lots of stuff coming together for both trucks.
20220513_160155.jpg
Got the block and heads back from Hunter Machine. Bored .060 over. Heads are completely rebuilt, new pistons and rings. Just waiting on the bearings and it can start going back together.
20220513_101046_HDR.jpg
Ran down to GJ last weekend to pick up a bed for my son's truck and came home with a set of doors that are much less rusty than mine.

xjtony

Finally got some time to work on the 318 (332. The boy likes to make sure to add that .060 over lol). Between his graduation, being sick, my neice getting married in Alaska and a bout of the BA5 there hasn't been much time. Waiting on parts has been a challenge as well.

Pistons all installed and moving freely. Cam is in and we should have the timing chain and cover on tomorrow.
20220716_163734_HDR.jpg

xjtony

After some really hard soul searching I've decided that my Power Wagon project will be continuing, but along a much different path. We are trying to get a new business off the ground and my physical health has deteriorated to the point that another full build is no longer in the picture. I have too many projects to finish and the time has come to let some things go. Avery's truck is well on its way to being done and mine will get worked on too, but as more of a stockish build. It'll keep the stock axles, transmission and transfercase, but the 1 ton swap, atlas, ax15, and coilovers will not happen. Basically my time crawling is coming to an end. This choice has been a very hard one for me because I've been building and crawling rigs for most of my adult life and I've had a great time with all of you guys out on the trail for years but that chapter of my life is coming to a close. Don't get me wrong the PW will still be out and about on some mild to moderate trails sometimes (she has 3/4 ton axles and a 205). That being said I will be posting lots of good crawler parts here for sale here in the near future.

xjtony

It looks like a good barn find so far. I've got to pick it up this weekend. If everything is as solid as it appears I will be building it some. Parts are fairly cheap and from my research 300 hp is not out of the question with them.

Tonkaman

It looks like a good barn find so far. I've got to pick it up this weekend. If everything is as solid as it appears I will be building it some. Parts are fairly cheap and from my research 300 hp is not out of the question with them.
It’s definitely a sleeper car. Nobody expects that much boogie out of an old Chrysler especially one they likely haven’t heard of.

I had a ‘92 laser which is the newer body style and 2.0. With minimal work it was a 500hp axle snapping demon 😎