Pressure Washers: What do I need?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
From what I've seen with them the maintenance is pretty basic. On the pump unit side, my dad always used an air compressor to blow out the lines/pump. His was a 220V system so there wasn't anything on the motor side.

Not sure on PSI, more is always better, my only experience was with my dad's and his had a burner and was overkill for most things, you could almost peal the paint off of something if you weren't careful.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Looking to get an around the house pressure washer. Likely gas powered. What PSI and whatnot do I need? What about maint. on the unit?

As you might recall, I spent a number of years pressure washing all manner of things back east... For around the house, like siding/deck work, and RV's and general cleanup, 2-3k psi should do the trick without being super aggravating. Check the tips that come with the pressure washer (these need to be matched to the wand you're using, which in turn will be matched to the machine-- if you ever need to get a replacement ;) ) and make sure you have a 0*, 35*, and a big fan nozzle. The 0* is useless up close and can actually blast lines in concrete, but super useful at like 30', for say, cleaning eaves from the ground, or blasting wasps nests. :D The 35* is great for general cleaning-- most sets come w/a 25* tip too, which is good but kind of narrow. The fan tip is awesome for cleaning cars, it shoots a big, gentle fan out.

Also be aware that the pressure is measured pretty much AT the tip, it tapers off the farther you get away. I used to spray my legs off about 2.5' away without tearing my skin off.. and I had a 5500psi deal.

EDIT: if you can get a hot water unit, it does a way better job on grease and sidewalk dirt, but if that is not a concern it's not worth the extra money.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
oh, for maintenance, you can either blow everything out, or fill it w/antifreeze, generally. You don't want water to get trapped int eh pump, most of them use ceramic pistons and they will crack and blow out seals. Not hard to fix if it ever happens but easily avoided. The MFG will likely include directions regarding winterizing.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That's correct, Stratton, I overlooked that as a given. 4GPM minimum for the stuff I used, which was huge commercial stuff.

Hoses are WAY cheaper usually at like, Parker, than a pressure washer place. I always used a 75' hose and usually had plenty to get around, your mileage may vary.

Caleb

I have one from Costco that I've been super happy with. I believe it's a 3k-3.5K PSI unit, but more importantly for me is it has a Honda engine on it. I've used and abused it and it still starts first pull nearly every time. They pop-up at Costco quite often for ~$300.

Build your own belt driven unit. :)
Direct drive units bring the suck for daily use, belt driven is the only way to go for heavy use.
That being said, for home use I think gas pw's are unnecessary... A little electric unit does 99% of what a home user wants.
Qualifier: I currently own a mobile detailing and pressure washing business.... And learned about pw's the expensive way. (on #5 in about 1.5yrs time)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have one from Costco that I've been super happy with. I believe it's a 3k-3.5K PSI unit, but more importantly for me is it has a Honda engine on it. I've used and abused it and it still starts first pull nearly every time. They pop-up at Costco quite often for ~$300.

x2, I've got a Honda powered Costco unit that has been rock solid. Never drained it, never changed the oil (its a Honda) and it fires up on the first pull. I don't have a ton of hours on it but it gets used a couple of times a month. I'll likely change the oil this fall :D

R

rockdog

Buy a hotsy and don't look back. I've got one at the school, it will clean damn near anything off. Used it to clean greasy engines. Peels the stuff right off. Gotta love scalding hot water under high pressure!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
:rofl: my budget is about 1/10th the price of a hotsy, or any commercial grade pressure washer...