Pricing a CJ-5

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok, I have been thinking about selling my CJ-5, I have too many CJs. (a 5, a 7, and two 8's)

So what should I ask for a '77 CJ5 with:
I-6,
T-18,
Dana 20,
Dana 44's Front and Rear 4.10s Detroits Disc breaks (Wrangler width 59-1/2" front, 58" rear)
5 35 x 12.50 X 15 on American Racing outlaw rims
full cage
Body is rough but not gone.
Built as a two seater with rack in the back to hold speakers, tools and a spare tire.
Tuffy box with Amp and CD changer, face off deck. (For you young guys we can explain what a cd changer is :) )

This thing was pretty cool in the late 90's but hasn't seen much action as of late. Been under my carport.

Let me know your thoughts,
Thanks,

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
You are evil, but its my kind of evil...

Can you take this old CJ-8 too? :D

At gun point Ill do just about anything Ill make sure to hook up the gooseneck :)

In all actuality I do want a CJ8 so if you are getting rid of one I would like to be first in line....

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
In all actuality I do want a CJ8 so if you are getting rid of one I would like to be first in line....

I have a barn find completely stock 1981 CJ8 no mods after probably 1985 except a radio, that I thought I would make an ice cream getter, but time is getting shorter so it probably needs to go too...:(

Its got a half hard top, hard doors, half soft top, full soft top, I-6, I think a SR4 work fine, but I have t-5 or NP435 to go with it, dana 300, Indian blanket seat covers,

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have a barn find completely stock 1981 CJ8 no mods after probably 1985 except a radio, that I thought I would make an ice cream getter, but time is getting shorter so it probably needs to go too...:(

Its got a half hard top, hard doors, half soft top, full soft top, I-6, I think a SR4 work fine, but I have t-5 or NP435 to go with it, dana 300, Indian blanket seat covers,

Price? PM me

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Hell, you guys are bad, I was working on selling the 5 not the 8...

Maybe that is the way to go for now.

I will drop some PMs...

OB1

For me the big factor on pricing a CJ5 is the condition of the body and what options it has, 4,6,8 cylinder. Does it have a hard top or soft top in good condition? If it needs a lot of body work but runs great then it may be worth it for some one to restore. I already bought a CJ5 this summer to go through this winter or I'd be tempted to take a look at yours. i do love the old CJ's that have been taken care of and not to modified with big lifts and tires. They're just fun to wheel in the mountains. My .02

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Don't worry about hurting my feelings? :)

What would be a realistic price on a rig like this?

Honestly, the body being in rough shape kills this one for most people. Drivetrain parts are commonly upgraded or replaced, and that type of work is something most jeep owners expect and are willing to tackle. Body work isn't.

Drivetrain is OK, but nothing too fancy, so I don't think that really adds or subtracts from the value. Scout axles?

What condition are the tires in? Weather cracked?

Generic full cage?

What's the top situation?

Without pics it's hard to guess, but I'd say maybe $1000 to $1500 for somebody looking for this type of rig.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Thanks for the reply Bryson!

it has a Scout rear. Cut down chevy front.

Tires are in good shape. Luckily they have been out of the weather.

Generic full cage.

No top. I think I might have a bikini kicking around.

Price wise: That at is kind of what I was thinking. So that is why I still have it. It's hard to sell a rig for the cost of two uninstalled lockers.

Hate to part it. But I would get more.

Anyone else want to input?

OB1

I payed $3700 for an 81 CJ5 that has a Chevy 350 that runs like a top and the body has very little rust and a full roll cage. He does have a 77 that I'm thinking of taking off his hands that I can get for $1300. That one has the 304 and runs good but the body is pretty rusty. I would only pic it up for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalka