Problem with my XJ

Nagrom

I recently went muddin for about 4 days straight. After I got back on the highway my jeep was gutless, and kinda sputtered at high RPM roughly 3000 to 4000. Instantly I figured it was somthing to do with my air intake since my filter was pretty bad. After dropping a K&N in it got even worse which I'm sure was a coincidence. But now I'm at a loss and don't know what else to check. I was hopin some jeep guru might know where I should start?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
maybe you got mud in the exhaust, clogging it up, or the engine/exhaust is covered with mud and can't disipate the heat fast enough?

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
question:

was there water crossings? if so how deep?

is the engine compartment caked with mud? if so how much is on the computer?

if you pull the air tube of the TB is there moisture in there?

how do your plug wires look?

start by running some heat in the tank, remove and clean all your plug wires, computer connections, etc.

if theres moisture in the air intake, go get some ethanol and spray it down i there.

Nagrom

I already destroyed my alternator, tps sensor & O2 sensor from blastin through water holes, So I kinda avoid those. Most the Mud was just thick stuff.
I checked my exaust at the rear it was fine, In fact I deusched the entire jeep (engine included) last night.
Since I first posted I noticed a new noise but I can't tell where it's comin from. It sounds like Air being blown or sucked out when I rev the engine, from some where in the front end.
As for My plugs they look errr OK I guess kinda dirty, But I gave em A shot of WD-40 before I went muddin.
With this new noise I really think it's either Exaust or intake related. I'm not real knowledgable mechanically, but I can kinda tell by my jeeps performance. The first thing I'll check is my entire intake for moisture. I once used Carb cleaner in my intake will that work instead of Ethanol cause I don't know what that is?

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
double check inside the passenger front bumper on your vacuum bowl, make sure the lines are still all attached.

Ken

JeepinJoe said:
Check your Vaccum lines around the air box area. They can crack real easy.
Yep mine are pretty much all cracked and plugged up with whatever. I hate emissions stuff. Still gets good gas mileage though.
I would clean up a lot of stuff like your plugs and cap and rotor. I would find out where that sound is coming from and correct that if it's a leak. Pull your throttle body and clean out everything with trottle body cleaner, hell if it's time, change the oil and the plugs. I also hate all of the many sensors on my jeep with a passion.

81Ramchargerman

Did you already check the air flow sensor to make sure it's not clogged? I've had problems with that when I went through deep puddles, and that's what it sounds like. It is probly running real rich because it is sensing more air than it's gettin', so it gets tons more fuel than it needs. Hope that helps. :D We also had to pull the entire intake besides the manifold and dump out water/mud. I know you didn't go through deep puddles, but maybe just enough...

Last edited: