Trip Report Problems in Price

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
On Saturday I met up with @Bart & @Herzog in Price, UT with the plan to hit some of the harder trails and get to know the area better. We rolled out to the trailhead for Pinnacle and unloaded.

20240831_100818-X2.jpg

20240831_100914-X2.jpg

We worked our way up the wash a little way, then dropped into the wash bottom and played on the rocks. It's a beautiful area, small & tight canyon and signs of plenty of recent water. The trail was challenging and fun, plenty of optional lines and some of the harder parts had a bypass/road around them.

20240831_102453-X2.jpg

20240831_103144-X2.jpg

We found some muddy puddles, usually right before a massive boulder... so your tires got covered and it was difficult to stay on your line. Every single one of us struggled on the big boulders with muddy tires, but we kept progressing. Pinnacle is rad, it was getting tighter as we went and we were having fun.

20240831_114034-X2.jpg

20240831_114300-X2.jpg

20240831_104029-X2.jpg

About 2/3 of the way into the trail my voltage was doing funny things.... volt gauge was reading between 9 and 11 volts. I figured the internal voltage regulator had died, so we elected to run for the trailers, get into town and try find one. I did get lucky, CarQuest had one and we headed to Shanes parents house. I got to work and Shane found some broken caliper bolts he needed to replace. With the new alternator in place, it was charging again.

20240831_134127-X2.jpg

About 2 hrs later, we headed out to the trailhead again and decided to run Pinnacle 2 this time. There were a few miles of dirt road to get there... I was watching the voltage and noticed it was dropping down again. At the trailhead I mentioned it to Shane & he brought up a loose wire at the battery. Checking things over, we found one of the terminals had partially melted, one of the power wires had broken and disconnected, etc. It looks like wiring got really hot, melted insulation & could have potentially started a fire. The positive terminal battery is partially covered by a random relay box, so it's not easy to see. With tools from both Bart & Shane I rewired the problematic terminals and we got back on the trail about an hour later.

20240831_145715-X2.jpg

20240901_094249-X2.jpg

About half way thru the trail my fans shut off and temps climbed. Found a blown 40A fuse... I didn't have a 40A fuse but fortunately Shane did... two, actually. The TJ ended up popping 3 more fuses, then I disconnected the trans cooler wiring and we jumpered up the fan fuse slot with a solid wire. The radiator fan was just left on the rest of the trail, watching for any signs of smoke... o_O

20240901_094236-X2.jpg

The rest of P2 was beautiful, rocky ledges and climbs, big boulders and plenty of fun to be had.

20240831_155505-X2.jpg

20240831_161204-X2.jpg

20240831_165453-X2.jpg

We wrapped up the trail with the Trash Compactor, then climbed out of the canyon and back to the parking lot. I really enjoyed the trails and scenery in Price, they're similar to 21 Road IMO and I'd really like to get back to explore more.

Feel free to add your pics guys, I have some video to add as well. I was a little distracted with my issues and didn't get as much as I usually would.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
On Saturday I met up with @Bart & @Herzog in Price, UT with the plan to hit some of the harder trails and get to know the area better. We rolled out to the trailhead for Pinnacle and unloaded.

20240831_100818-X2.jpg

20240831_100914-X2.jpg

We worked our way up the wash a little way, then dropped into the wash bottom and played on the rocks. It's a beautiful area, small & tight canyon and signs of plenty of recent water. The trail was challenging and fun, plenty of optional lines and some of the harder parts had a bypass/road around them.

20240831_102453-X2.jpg

20240831_103144-X2.jpg

We found some muddy puddles, usually right before a massive boulder... so your tires got covered and it was difficult to stay on your line. Every single one of us struggled on the big boulders with muddy tires, but we kept progressing. Pinnacle is rad, it was getting tighter as we went and we were having fun.

20240831_114034-X2.jpg

20240831_114300-X2.jpg

20240831_104029-X2.jpg

About 2/3 of the way into the trail my voltage was doing funny things.... volt gauge was reading between 9 and 11 volts. I figured the internal voltage regulator had died, so we elected to run for the trailers, get into town and try find one. I did get lucky, CarQuest had one and we headed to Shanes parents house. I got to work and Shane found some broken caliper bolts he needed to replace. With the new alternator in place, it was charging again.

20240831_134127-X2.jpg

About 2 hrs later, we headed out to the trailhead again and decided to run Pinnacle 2 this time. There were a few miles of dirt road to get there... I was watching the voltage and noticed it was dropping down again. At the trailhead I mentioned it to Shane & he brought up a loose wire at the battery. Checking things over, we found one of the terminals had partially melted, one of the power wires had broken and disconnected, etc. It looks like wiring got really hot, melted insulation & could have potentially started a fire. The positive terminal battery is partially covered by a random relay box, so it's not easy to see. With tools from both Bart & Shane I rewired the problematic terminals and we got back on the trail about an hour later.

20240831_145715-X2.jpg

20240901_094249-X2.jpg

About half way thru the trail my fans shut off and temps climbed. Found a blown 40A fuse... I didn't have a 40A fuse but fortunately Shane did... two, actually. The TJ ended up popping 3 more fuses, then I disconnected the trans cooler wiring and we jumpered up the fan fuse slot with a solid wire. The radiator fan was just left on the rest of the trail, watching for any signs of smoke... o_O

20240901_094236-X2.jpg

The rest of P2 was beautiful, rocky ledges and climbs, big boulders and plenty of fun to be had.

20240831_155505-X2.jpg

20240831_161204-X2.jpg

20240831_165453-X2.jpg

We wrapped up the trail with the Trash Compactor, then climbed out of the canyon and back to the parking lot. I really enjoyed the trails and scenery in Price, they're similar to 21 Road IMO and I'd really like to get back to explore more.

Feel free to add your pics guys, I have some video to add as well. I was a little distracted with my issues and didn't get as much as I usually would.
Damn, thats some hot wiring for sure! Glad you made it all the way out without any "major" problems.

Greg

Admin
Damn, thats some hot wiring for sure! Glad you made it all the way out without any "major" problems.

Yeah, it wasn't far from becoming a fire... we talked about extinguishers after we found melted wire insulation. This poor TJ has some pretty questionable wiring and I was wondering if it would ever become an issue. I have some work ahead of me to make it safe again.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
You have too many connections at the battery all going through on bolt. I would run a beefy wire from the battery to a large terminal block where the load can be handled better.

Greg

Admin
You have too many connections at the battery all going through on bolt. I would run a beefy wire from the battery to a large terminal block where the load can be handled better.

That picture is after the fix, the bolt on the left side melted the lead due to being loose and the clamp no longer holding. Its best we could do on the trail, I'll fix it properly now that it's home.