Proud father moments

Kevin B.

Big hippy
This boy didn't race at all last year due to his illness. And he missed his first race this year because he had to work. So he got called up this race on Saturday at the very back of the pack of the slowest JV group. While other kids were dropping like flies in the heat, he took that shiny new bike of his and fought his way from 63rd to 32nd in about seven miles.

And then rode 23 miles with me yesterday on the Crest. He's a machine.

1662398896343.png

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
While boating yesterday I got my 7 year old to try the kneeboard. He did real good and although he didn't wiggle as high up on the board as we were trying to get him to he was up and smiling.

He said his hands hurt and I just chuckled because he doesn't get too active other than jumping from couch to couch. It brought back a lot of good memories growing up.

RockChucker

While boating yesterday I got my 7 year old to try the kneeboard. He did real good and although he didn't wiggle as high up on the board as we were trying to get him to he was up and smiling.

He said his hands hurt and I just chuckled because he doesn't get too active other than jumping from couch to couch. It brought back a lot of good memories growing up.
We managed to get our 2 y/o out on the tube this weekend. She went from screaming to tolerance to slight enjoyment to a nap while she sat on my lap. But she LOVES the boat which is fantastic.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My parents brought the tube but we didn't blow it up. I wondered whether my 2 year old would be down, he is much more brave of my two but that was also the first time really wearing a life jacket and swimming in a lake. He was happy enough taking his turn "driving" the boat while people were getting in/out for their turns.

I've been working on dropping some weight since backpacking in July and hope that by next summer I can be a lot more comfortable and able to enjoy the water. I think the boat has only been out twice this year and the first time was 2 weeks ago. Not that it's not been capable of it but just that people have been choosing to do other things.

I had stopped wanting to be on the water because when I did try and wakeboard I'd pull or tweak my back so bad I couldn't walk for a few days. Did the same thing at Powell a while back on the first turn and was laid up the whole trip. That felt like a waste. I was a fair amount skinnier even then.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
My parents brought the tube but we didn't blow it up. I wondered whether my 2 year old would be down, he is much more brave of my two but that was also the first time really wearing a life jacket and swimming in a lake. He was happy enough taking his turn "driving" the boat while people were getting in/out for their turns.

I've been working on dropping some weight since backpacking in July and hope that by next summer I can be a lot more comfortable and able to enjoy the water. I think the boat has only been out twice this year and the first time was 2 weeks ago. Not that it's not been capable of it but just that people have been choosing to do other things.

I had stopped wanting to be on the water because when I did try and wakeboard I'd pull or tweak my back so bad I couldn't walk for a few days. Did the same thing at Powell a while back on the first turn and was laid up the whole trip. That felt like a waste. I was a fair amount skinnier even then.
Surfing is the answer!!! Surfing is so much easier on the body since we started surfing we don’t even take the wakeboard with us anymore.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I would love to try it but I thought you need a special boat for that. This one is probably a mid 90's ski boat. Big but no tower or bags to fill with water to make the wake bigger.

J-mobzz

I would love to try it but I thought you need a special boat for that. This one is probably a mid 90's ski boat. Big but no tower or bags to fill with water to make the wake bigger.

As long as it’s an actual ski boat (direct drive or V drive) it’s safe to surf behind as the prop is under the boat. If it’s a stern drive I wouldn’t do it.

We surf behind our 1989 ski boat. 550lb behind the engine. 200lbs on each side of the engine and a wake shaper on the non surf side. 10mph on the gps Speedo and it’s a blast. I’m already shopping for a newer bigger v-drive boat though because we love surfing so much more than wakeboarding.

So if anyone wants to trade for a boat? @Hickey haha

Last edited:

J-mobzz

While a tower does make it easier to get up on a wakesurf board, it’s not impossible without.

A guy we boat with literally just uses two of the big (10 gallon?) water containers and he puts them in the rear storage area on his ski boat on whichever side the surfer prefers the wave.

They also make bolt-on wave makers for if you decide you love it and want an even better wave
My wake shaper is literally just a suction cup attachment. I actually made one I used for awhile before I picked up a real one.

This is the one I use now.

SWELL Wakesurf Creator Slim H3X Plus - The Best Slim Wake Shaper - Extendable Length, Rotating with Hydrodynamic Texture https://a.co/d/3BhGltR

@nnnnnate If you want to take the diy shaper I made and give it a go you’re welcome to have it. It actually works just as well as the $350 one I’m using now. Just attached it to the bottom back of the boat in the opposite side that you’re surfing and it cleans up the wake a ton on the surf side making it very clean.

982EAE2E-EA26-4C1A-8BFF-2CABA2B65941.jpeg

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
As long as it’s an actual ski boat (direct drive or V drive) it’s safe to surf behind as the prop is under the boat. If it’s a stern drive I wouldn’t do it.

We surf behind our 1989 ski boat. 550lb behind the engine. 200lbs on each side of the engine and a wake shaper on the non surf side. 10mph on the gps Speedo and it’s a blast. I’m already shopping for a newer bigger v-drive boat though because we love surfing so much more than wakeboarding.

So if anyone wants to trade for a boat? @Hickey haha
I am also in the market for a new Boat possibly. My 2006 Malibu 23LSV is Awesome we have just want to upgrade.

26A120FC-82A0-489F-8ABA-95E9222D1E91.jpeg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Best recollection is the boat is a "Cruisers Inc" from about 1992. Its stern drive or inboard. I can't find pictures to figure out the model but based on whats been said here and from my 2 second online reading, attempting to surf behind this boat would be a bad idea.

My wife isn't interested in boating and I don't think my siblings and their families enjoy it enough that any of them would buy a boat.

@skippy thats a good looking boat. You're into that setup (truck+boat) like $120k plus right? Not that you couldn't tow the boat with a smaller truck but looks like that Malibu could still go for $45k+. It blows my mind how expensive they are.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Best recollection is the boat is a "Cruisers Inc" from about 1992. Its stern drive or inboard. I can't find pictures to figure out the model but based on whats been said here and from my 2 second online reading, attempting to surf behind this boat would be a bad idea.

My wife isn't interested in boating and I don't think my siblings and their families enjoy it enough that any of them would buy a boat.

@skippy thats a good looking boat. You're into that setup (truck+boat) like $120k plus right? Not that you couldn't tow the boat with a smaller truck but looks like that Malibu could still go for $45k+. It blows my mind how expensive they are.
I have other much larger things I tow around that necessitates the dually, Most people at the boat ramp are towing these boats around with SUVs. This boat just barely broke 400 hours last weekend so its probably close to that 45-50k mark.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
We surfed once behind an old Malibu direct drive. The wave was just a tiny white wash mess. I had no chance of tossing the rope. But we were hooked! We bought the cheapest v-drive boat we could find and set it up for surfing. It was so much better. Fast forward 5 years and three more dedicated surf boats. The new technology really makes a difference, but great results can be had by traditional methods. We don’t have a boat right now and miss it a ton.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This is my youngest, who has Cystic Fibrosis. Last week we got some test results back and he had to be admitted to Primary Children's. His lung function was down and he had grown a nasty bacteria in his lung culture. This is only his second hospital stay in his 12 years so we are pretty fortunate (read my wife is amazing). Today is day 7 of a 14 day stay. His lung function test today was his highest in 12 months. The IV antibiotics and 4x daily respiratory treatments seems to be working! CF sucks but he is a tough kid and doesn't complain much about the hours of treatments he has to do every day. He has been entertaining the nurses in the hospital and is in a pretty good mood for a 12 year old stuck in the hospital for 2 weeks.

1663698796341.png

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My 18-month old son's new favorite activity is to be pushed around the house in his Cozy Coupe and have me drift it around corners. All the while he makes the "vroom" and "screech!" noises he's learned from playing with Hot Wheels. I've also noticed that he's turning the steering wheel in the direction of the turn. I think he'll be ready for shifter karts this summer. :D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My 18-month old son's new favorite activity is to be pushed around the house in his Cozy Coupe and have me drift it around corners. All the while he makes the "vroom" and "screech!" noises he's learned from playing with Hot Wheels. I've also noticed that he's turning the steering wheel in the direction of the turn. I think he'll be ready for shifter karts this summer. :D

He needs a muscle car or Jeep or Toyota/Cruiser calendar from everyone here so you don't corrupt him with your weird vehicle ways :D