PSA: How to get LED recessed lights for $3 (after rebate)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I have 18 can lights in my house and have hated replacing the old school bulbs in them. When I saw that LEDs should last 20 years I got interested. I just recently looked into rebates and whatnot to keep the cost down. For this to work you have to be a customer of Rocky Mountain Power.

Basically you can buy the regular LED bulbs at a local store and the "rebate" is built into the price so you pay less at the store and don't have to submit any paperwork. For flood style bulbs that work with recessed fixtures they cost about $12-25.

The other option is to buy a "fixture" which RMP offers a $20 mail in rebate on. Something like this. It is a bezel and a LED built into one piece. You unscrew the existing light bulb and pull out the ring from the fixture. The new fixture has a pigtail that you screw into the socket and then the whole thing slides up into the hole mounting flush to the ceiling. The fixture costs $23 right now so after the rebate you end up paying $3. I think that these look cleaner and better than the ring and bulb screwed in.

The program is going to change on October 24. (not super easy to read, relevant parts quoted below)
Light Fixtures
LED fixtures were first eligible to qualify as ENERGY STAR light fixtures in September 2008. The Program saw very few incentive applications for ENERGY STAR LED fixtures until the end of 2013. The Program currently offers a $20 downstream customer incentive for ENERGY STAR light fixtures. Prices for LED fixtures have dropped rapidly over the last several months, especially for recessed downlight LED fixtures. As prices neared the $20 incentive unit volumes for LED fixtures have increased dramatically in 2014. In some instances the purchase price has been lower than the $20 incentive. In such cases, per the terms and conditions of the Program incentive application, the incentive paid will not exceed the purchase price. Through mid-June 2014 the Program has processed incentive applications for nearly 186,000 LED fixtures compared to approximately 4,200 CFL fixtures. Nearly all of them are recessed downlight LED fixtures. The high volume of LED fixtures is putting upward pressure on the Program incentive budget. 2014 year-end expenditures are expected to be 10% higher for the Program than in 2013 due to higher incentive expenditures on LED bulbs and LED fixtures.
To better manage incentive budgets and to leverage incentive dollars further the Program proposes removing the $20 downstream customer incentives for ENERGY STAR light fixtures and replacing it with an upstream incentive to retailers and/or manufacturers. The Program proposes an “up to” $10 incentive for fixtures to align incentives with market costs to improve Program cost-effectiveness. The upstream buy down for light fixtures will be operated the same as the upstream buy down for light bulbs. As with the current upstream buy down for light bulbs, the “up to” or maximum incentive gives the Program the flexibility to negotiate with retailers and manufacturers for lower incentives.

Eligible Fixture List - Make sure whatever you buy is on the list. The link to Lowes above are the fixtures that I bought. On the list the model number shows up with a different manufacturer but I called RMP to ensure there wasn't and issue with this. They said it was fine.

Light Fixture Rebate Page - Rocky Mountain Power - Here is the link to the RMP page that has some more on the program.

You can submit the rebate online which is what I did. It was super easy and only took a few minutes.

I hope that his helps. I have bought 9 of these over the last few weeks and installed them this morning, it was super easy. I plan to keep the good old style bulbs to replace the other ones as they burn out but am thinking that I'll buy the 9 more new fixtures so when all my old bulbs are dead I can have these LEDs to replace them with while still maximizing my rebate.

Here is a picture of a couple from my kitchen.
IMG_20140927_103248.jpg

Saving money is good, it means there is more to spend on my rig.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Great info Nate, thanks for posting up. If only I had a house right now... How do you like the color output?

The ones I got are 2700K are are rated "warm." I like them well enough.

I dig that. I have some can lights that seem to need bulbs every six months or so.

This is what got me really wanting to look into LED. I have a sensor on my front porch that automatically turns the outdoor garage and porch lights on every night. I have to replace the porch lights about every three months. It kills me. The fixture I linked in the OP is rated for damp areas which I need to figure out if it'll work outside but they are also guaranteed for 5 years by the manufacturer. I've kept my boxes and have the dates written in the fixtures. If I don't get a full five years I'm going to get them replaced for free.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
as an electrician I install alot of these... you can actually get them cheaper then $23 which would make them free... but you can buy them at home depot, Lowes and they are super easy to install. The light is more of a natural white light and they are super bright! and they save energy!

I would recommend them to anyone with a can light or you can buy other LED lights to replace others in your house.

If you have ever be in Dick sporting good at the gateway and saw all the lights there... they did a survey and for about $250k they could replace all their lights and the savings from both the cost of replacement and energy saving would pay for this in 1.5 yrs. This is just an example of how they pay off.

Brad J

I picked up 4 of the same model yesterday. Got them installed in my Office & they are bright & look great. I submitted for the MIB online & now think that I need to do the ones in our Family Room. The incandescent lights make the room so hot. Now what should I do with my old bulbs???? Thanks for letting us know about this.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I installed about 12 of theses in a home, and immediately noticed a humming sound from the lights. Does anybody else hear it from their lights?

Brad J

The light is more of a natural white light and they are super bright! and they save energy!

I love how bright my Office is now. The 2 lights on the Right are the New LED lights. The one on the Left is the old one before replacing it. My wife commented "Wow it is bright in here"

IMG_3507 sm.jpg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've thought a couple mornings that the lights have been a little too bright. I have to think about which switch I'm flipping for lights in the morning when I'm rounding up my stuff for work in the morning while headed to the kitchen. I'm usually still kind of asleep but those lights wake me up fast. Other than at 530 in the morning I have totally loved how bright the lights are. I told my wife yesterday we needed to buy another 10 of them before the 26th when the rebate changes. It kind of sucks dropping $200+ on lights but it'll be worth it after the rebate comes back through.