Jeep Question on ZJ,s, Chime in Cody!

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Ok, its looking like I wont ever sell the jeep so I am now considering selling my zuk.

Reason being, I need something bigger......

How can you stiffen up the frame on ZJ? same way as a XJ? Frame stiffners? I do not want to really lift it if I am going to end up junking it one day, just needs to be capable for Say Golden Spike, few other trails. I am not interested in the super extreme!

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Some of the long arm setups will include a subframe that stiffens the chassis as well. Are you planning on running short arms or going to go bigger?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I believe Iron Rock Offroad makes frame stiffeners, and like was said above, many long arm rigs have a version of it incorporated into the mounting for the LCA's.

For stuff like Golden Spike, 3.5" lift and 32's would get you through. Short arms are fine at that height, but I recomend adjustable arms--at the very least for the lowers. A rear locker would help and I don't think you'll have too many problems with the unibody. ZJ/WJ unibody is more stout than XJ stuff.

We took an up country ZJ on 31's through Golden Spike, although it did scrach up the bumpers a bit.

1995zj

I'm addicted
I'm going to throw this out there....I have a ZJ on 37's that I have wheeled pretty hard for 3 years now and it has done many trails including Pritchett and Green Day. It's been on it's side a couple times and I haven't had any problems with the unibody. I don't have frame stiffeners either....the ZJ unibodies are pretty stout like Cody stated.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My buggy never had a single problem with unibody. The rails were plated from about the front door back to the end (which happened to be about where the rear door would have been), but the front had no plating and no tie ins to the cage. To this day no unibody problems.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
but be aware of the control arm brackets, they are weak and I have had my rear driver side upper frame mount welded 3 times. you can see some of it in my pics under the Teraflex thread.

Last edited:

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
This is what I wanted to hear, I am leaning heavily towards selling the zuk and doing a 6" long arm type setup, 33" tires.

Ill keep ya updated!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
This is what I wanted to hear, I am leaning heavily towards selling the zuk and doing a 6" long arm type setup, 33" tires.

Ill keep ya updated!

6" is plenty of room for 35's, and way too much lift for 33's.

isn't yours a 4.0? Sell it first and find a v8 before you put any money into it.

1995zj

I'm addicted
Yeah with 6" you could easily fit 35's. I used to think I needed A LOT of lift for my tires but now I'm running 6.5" lift and 37's.

STAG

On my grind
fwiw I def would recommend using frame stiffeners... I know you're thinkin about a ZJ but PM "Badger" on here (had an XJ) and ask him to send you pics of what happens when you don't use them after a little while... better yet I'll find them and post them....

Attachments

• PA150155_sized.jpg
    PA150155_sized.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 18
  • PA150154_sized.jpg
    PA150154_sized.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 17
  • P6300258_sized.jpg
    P6300258_sized.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 16
  • P6300255_sized.jpg
    P6300255_sized.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I'm running 4.5" rubicon express springs, Clayton's hard arm long arms, and 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs (which run a little big for size). I'm also running heavy sliders and custom tube bumpers front and rear.
You will have to trim your bumpers, but a longarm kit should allow you to center your axles and do less metal trimming. I would not want to be 2" higher for the same tires I run.

Oh yeah... clayton's kit has chassis stiffners, which are a really good idea IMO...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
fwiw I def would recommend using frame stiffeners... I know you're thinkin about a ZJ but PM "Badger" on here (had an XJ) and ask him to send you pics of what happens when you don't use them after a little while... better yet I'll find them and post them....

ZJ's have beefier unibody than XJ's. There is the occasional person that will rip an UCA bracket off, but it's mostly people that wheel a ton and go overboard with flex (mad flex = worthless and counterproductive). As long as you don't get some lame 12" stroke shocks for your short arms and 33's, you shouldn't ever put the kind of torque on those UCA mounts that would cause them to rip off.

I've seen all the issues with the unibody under the steering box, the front end unibody, cracking etc. on XJ's and it's just 90% less of a problem on ZJ's. You see it on occasion, but not on a rig that is going to see light to moderate use on 33's or smaller.

I honestly think the only reason they even make the stiffeners for ZJ's is because people started buying them for XJ's and someone wanted to tap the market there. All of the ZJ/WJ specific manufacturer's never produced one because it wasn't something that was needed. Just my 2 cents.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Comparing an XJ to a ZJ is really an apples to oranges comparison.

I've had both and wore out an XJ chassis.

The ZJ chassis we have has 150K on it and has been rolled over at about 60 mph. It's JUST starting to show some fatigue issues. I doubt an XJ that rolled how our ZJ rolled would have fared well at all. I certainly couldn't have driven it home like I did the ZJ (rolled in the snow at Daniels Summit, but still)

GOAT

Back from the beyond
IMHO, The biggest thing that impacts ZJ unibodies are the rocker panels. Beat them up, and the body is done. Ask how I know.

6" is too high for 33s or 35s. I Easily ran 35s on my ZJ with 4.5 RE springs and minor trimming. Stick with 8" rims that offer 4.5-5" BS and it wont be a big deal.

mrhoads_144.jpg

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
6" is plenty of room for 35's, and way too much lift for 33's.

isn't yours a 4.0? Sell it first and find a v8 before you put any money into it.

Ha ha the good ole 4.0 Litre. I do wish i had a v8 but i most certainly don't regret building a 4.0L....IMO it is a great motor and easy to work on, mine is a 95 with 145xxx and still running strong. Cody is a smart guy thought from what i have heard him say about Grands. I run 3.5" lift with Claytons rear long arms and the stock front arms with no problems. I am also running 33" tires on that setup (which measure more like a 34) and only rub slightly when at full lock. Just my .02