Quick loss of compression on a Polaris

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I fixed some old fan cooled Polaris 440 snowmobiles for a rancher friend of mine that had been sitting out in his field for many years. One of them that was running fine started be real hard to start. I found that the compression was down to 60 PSI. When I first fixed it it was 110. It didn't get ridden that much so I am curious as to why it would drop so fast. I haven't pulled the heads off yet to look. Any thoughts ?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Moisture can cause the cylinder walls to rust and when the engine starts the rust quickly wipes out the piston rings. I've seen this on snowmobiles and motorcycles in the past--most of which sat outside/uncovered for several months without use. Was it stored indoors or under a cover? Something as simple as washing it off with a garden hose can get water where it doesn't belong..

Just a guess though hard to say without pulling it down :-\

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Moisture can cause the cylinder walls to rust and when the engine starts the rust quickly wipes out the piston rings. I've seen this on snowmobiles and motorcycles in the past--most of which sat outside/uncovered for several months without use. Was it stored indoors or under a cover? Something as simple as washing it off with a garden hose can get water where it doesn't belong..

Just a guess though hard to say without pulling it down :-\

They were stored outside without covers so rust is a good possibility.