General Tech Radiator repair in Davis/SL County?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I need to have my '87 Toyota's radiator repaired.

I have used JMac in the past but I would like to find a closer/better shop.

What say the RME?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Where's it leaking from? Depending on the damage it could be cheaper/better to just buy a new one. That was the case when my brass one sprung a leak a few years back. I'll say the aluminum Spectra from Vatozone has held up very well for me and cools much better than the brass one did if it comes down to that. Good luck.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have used Jakes before as well... but they tried to convince me that I needed a new one... and that the repair would not work... that was like 5 years ago and its still working fine... and all it needed was to have the outlet on the bottom brazed....

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Hmmm, there are similar reviews of them posted elsewhere. Don't they understand that the whole idea of REPAIRING is to avoid REPLACING?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Silly Willy

Know anyone with a TIG welder. If its just the outlet it wouldn't be a hard repair. (Oxy torch and some silicon bronze could do the trick as well)
I've done a few minor repairs like this on my own radiator and haven't had an issue since.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Don't they understand that the whole idea of REPAIRING is to avoid REPLACING?

Not in this day and age :-\ You know how much a stock IDI radiator weighs right? I could barely lift mine out of the truck by myself. I had a tiny pin hole in it so I called the local shop and sure enough they specialize in pin holes claiming every radiator made of brass is repairable. So I happily dropped it off (replacements are several hundred dollars) and a day or so later they called and said they could not repair it but they would dispose of if for me for free... I randomly showed up a few hours later to pick it up. You'd think I was trying to take candy from a 5 year old--seriously--it was beyond a joke. They kept saying its no good/can't be fixed and that they have offer fee disposal :rolleyes: Turns out they never touched it and were very rude when I finally pried it out of them :mad: Never again.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Know anyone with a TIG welder. If its just the outlet it wouldn't be a hard repair. (Oxy torch and some silicon bronze could do the trick as well)
I've done a few minor repairs like this on my own radiator and haven't had an issue since.

Rick and I tried that once after nicking a top tank with the grinder...JMac ultimately handled that repair.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Not in this day and age :-\ You know how much a stock IDI radiator weighs right?

Yes, unfortunately. :)

I called around and ended up dropping my rad off to Jake's at lunch and picked it up after work. He boiled it out, repaired 2 cracks, pressure tested to 30psi and re-painted AND gave me a call. I was very impressed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

I called around and ended up dropping my rad off to Jake's at lunch and picked it up after work. He boiled it out, repaired 2 cracks, pressure tested to 30psi and re-painted AND gave me a call. I was very impressed.

Good to hear it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Any chance you noticed if they are open on Sat.? (googling after this posts...)

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I did not, his place is easy to find though for a drive by.
He's just an older guy with a 2 bay shop, I didn't see any other employees. Hopefully its a sweet gig for him.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
He has one other employee.
He swapped the outlets on my YJ radiator and fixed a crack in it 3 months later for free.

His employee doesn't have great personal skills but he is very good also.

I keep forgetting to ask him where he got those license plates louvered?