Random vehicle-buying question for dealership folk

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
When buying a vehicle with "cash" is it beneficial to mention it right from the start or to not show your hand until the final numbers are written down? I've heard people say both so I wanted to check with the dealership folk on here. I'm also betting quite a few of the good people on here have paid cash for vehicles. Oh and I'm asking for a friend.

N-Smooth

see this is exactly why I asked- I've heard both sides of this for years. I really don't want to go through the financing nonsense just to pay it off the next day but if it saves a significant amount of dolla dolla bills I suppose it would be worth it. As of right now I'm thinking I'll ask the sales manager and see if he'll be a straight-shooter for me. I hate sales managers though...

I'm also wondering if right now is a good time to buy with stimmie checks inbound. They really might not move on the price at all and just say "look, we'll sell it to the next guy for full price"
It does appear to be a great time to sell my truck though so I'll just have to win some, lose some I guess.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I worked in the car industry for quite a while, tax season was always really good for us for down payments. I consider this similar. Not that you can't get a deal, but inventory doesn't stick around very long

N-Smooth

that's right, it's tax return season and stimmie time. shoot. I forget about taxes because I never get all my paperwork until the week it's due...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Right now is not a great time to buy for a lot of cars. Manufacturing is still way behind, and used cars are in high demand. Most cars are going for above book value.

My close friend sells the rental fleet for Enterprise. His sales prices are higher than they've ever been because dealers don't have any used inventory and need cars. He's also been buying( through his connections) brand new 1 ton trucks, putting lift/tires on them, driving for 3k miles and selling them for 8-10k profit. It's crazy out there right now.

N-Smooth

Right now is not a great time to buy for a lot of cars. Manufacturing is still way behind, and used cars are in high demand. Most cars are going for above book value.

My close friend sells the rental fleet for Enterprise. His sales prices are higher than they've ever been because dealers don't have any used inventory and need cars. He's also been buying( through his connections) brand new 1 ton trucks, putting lift/tires on them, driving for 3k miles and selling them for 8-10k profit. It's crazy out there right now.
I've watched prices for the truck I'm looking for go up about $4k in the last several months. It's a bummer but my truck looks like it should also sell for at least that much more than a year ago. It may not be quite that linear but close enough that I'm still planning on doing it

EDIT: I'm hoping that buying new will somehow help. I'll even order it if I have to.

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
It also depends on the dealerships pay structure on how they pay their employees. How do you think finance managers get bonuses? Not from people paying cash

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Last car I bought from the dealer as previously said gave me a better deal to finance. I finance the car made my “down payment” on first month to pay all but a couple hundred off. Made the rest of the payments until the minimum time was done and paid the last little bit off

rholbrook

It’s not always smart to pay cash. It depends on what you can earn with your money versus what the cost on the loan will be interest wise. My last loan I had a 4% gain on interest earned on the money I would of had to pull out from an investment versus what interest I paid on a loan for the same amount of money. If your money is just sitting in the bank or buried in the yard, then it would be better to pay cash. I never discuss payment options until the deal is done.

N-Smooth

It’s not always smart to pay cash. It depends on what you can earn with your money versus what the cost on the loan will be interest wise. My last loan I had a 4% gain on interest earned on the money I would of had to pull out from an investment versus what interest I paid on a loan for the same amount of money. If your money is just sitting in the bank or buried in the yard, then it would be better to pay cash. I never discuss payment options until the deal is done.
I understand this idea for sure but I really want to be in a good position to build a bigger house in the next couple of years. Having two paid-off, nearly new vehicles fits really well into that financial plan because that way I won’t have to buy vehicles for some time and can focus some $ on the house and yard.

lhracing

It seems to be Dealer dependent. About 6 months ago I wend Truck shopping and every dealer I went to pushed the financing and a discount for doing it until I went to LHM Chevrolet. I had a connection at LHM and made the best deal of any dealer and when it came down to pay it didn't mater cash or finance.

J-mobzz

So another question. Two years ago I bought a new car and they had some killer rebates on lease deals. So I leased it then just paid it off. I’ve had the title with the lean release signed for the two years now but I’ve just renewed the registration as a lease that the dealer set it up as. So I haven’t actually paid sales tax aside from the sales tax on the first payment. Since I have the title I can sell the car (if I wanted) so this seems like a major loop hole on not paying sales tax?
Educate me on how I’m going to eventually get screwed on doing this.

Last edited: