Real world experience with KTM 690 enduro.

Trate D

Seems there is a lot of experience here in the moto world. Figured I’d see if anyone here has personal experience with one of these bikes.

First off this won’t be a trail bike. Just occasional dirt and gravel roads. It also won’t be expected to do lots of highway miles either. Mainly I want a powerful/fun hoonigan around town bike with occasional dirt/highway use. From my internet searches lots of people have lots of opinions on it good and bad. But I want first hand experience....

Currently eyeing a 2018 with very low miles. Looks like the 18 has the LC4 without the new added counter balancer. It seems hit or miss with people on big thumper vibes. But with my intended use might not be a problem? Also seems like rocker arm failures were the earlier models.

They seems to hold value very well and used still fetch premium money. Before I go spending my money hoping someone here can tell me if it’s a good choice for my intended usage.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I put a BUNCH of miles on mine. I had a 690r. The R has more and better suspension.
5.5k miles of just pure off-road. Good bike. Very versatile. I rode from Bountiful to Cherry Creek on road then marked an entire NHHA off-road loop (read very hard off-road) on it.
I adored it, but ultimately it wasn't versitile enough for me.
It is a big dirt bike. If you go into it understanding that I think you're golden.
It was no good on the freeway.
It's got a few things against it.
#1 steep head angle. Even with more sag than advised and the forks flush it's a handful on the freeway. And it wanders and follows grooved pavement a lot. I had to run a steering stabilizer at full stiff to feel comfortable. And I'm used to high speed squirly stuff on dirt bikes.

#2 lightness. Sounds like not a thing but it gets blown around a LOT.

#3 poor turning angle. I modified mine by grinding the stops but eventually you hit radiators.

#4 small gas tank. As said above some easy fixes with money.

#5 unbalanced suspension stock. The rear is quite stiffly sprung and the front forks are quite soft. Presumably to handle a pillion and cargo. I did suspension work and made it much much better on and off road.
but truthfully it still rode better at high speeds on road with gear or a passenger.

#6 rear subframe/gas tank bolts break. Plan on getting the upgraded sleeves if you do much off-road they can fail and ruin the tank.

#7 it's TALL- Like 38.2" seat height on the R.
Not a big issue for me but tip toes at lights is annoying for some.

#8 the seat. Stock sucks. I added a seat comforts unit and it was nice.

That said, I loved mine. It was super good off-road and had plenty of power. The air filter almost never got dirty. It was very reliable.

KTMRallySept18-Cudby-338~2.jpeg

Last edited:

Trate D

Thanks @Gravy this is great information.

I will rarely hit the freeway but I’ll plan on a stabilizer just in case. The seat will probably be the first add on’s seems everyone can agree that they suck.

Haven’t heard of the subframe issue but unless my intended use changes hopefully won’t become a problem.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You will need to pay for tuning if want it to run better and if you get a later bike as they have a bit more emissions and an o2 as well. They are very very lean stock. Deleting the cat and an FMF or other will net you a significant weight loss as well.
Mine was early so it didn't have abs, but plan to pay for an abs override dongle if you plan on any serious offroading as the newer ktms reinable abs at every motor start, so stalling and starting on hills becomes a bit of an annoyance as abs and traction control can and will cut power when it senses spin.

Trate D

You will need to pay for tuning if want it to run better and if you get a later bike as they have a bit more emissions and an o2 as well. They are very very lean stock. Deleting the cat and an FMF or other will net you a significant weight loss as well.
Mine was early so it didn't have abs, but plan to pay for an abs override dongle if you plan on any serious offroading as the newer ktms reinable abs at every motor start, so stalling and starting on hills becomes a bit of an annoyance as abs and traction control can and will cut power when it senses spin.
Abs dongle seems to be a must have for situations like you stated. I’ll venture down that route if I start getting serious with it offroad. I will be planning on at least a slip on to get rid of the cat and and shed weight. Also seems like everyone says the stock muffler will bake anything close to it.

Is there a good hand held tuner or EJK kit? Or is dyno tuning the way to go?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'll echo what has been said. I really loved my 690. I have almost sold my 1090 and gone back to the big dirt bike several times. If you plan to do less freeway and more in town and dirt roads, they are awesome. That said, I just spent 8 days in Oregon on the BDR trying to keep up with a dude on a 690. He has done every BDR on that bike with saddle bags, a rotopax and a big duffle bag on the back. He hauled ass and was not easy on it. It has had zero issues according to him. Just basic maint in 25k miles.
He also ran full Motoz Desert IT knobbies and was losing me on the pavement at 95 mph in curves.

Trate D

Forgot to update this. I ended up picking it up and have been riding it for the last 2 weeks. I love this bike! So far it’s what I was hoping for and more. It’s supposedly heavier than my previous Drz but feels much lighter in all aspects.

2018 with 1200 miles so far added double take mirrors, yoshi exhaust, emissions delete kit, 02 fuel dongle and most likely a tuner shortly.

Now if I could find one of the ktm windshields I’d be a happy man!
31E13D89-A6D5-475B-9980-FB1411F6C05C.jpeg

Last edited: