recent earthquakes

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
started the week with a 3.2 in Bluffdale, and then i just heard there were a pair of 2's in Magna this morning. whats goin on? yea, theyre small, and i know someone will chime in with 'they happen all the time'

Coco

I felt the one in Bluffdale at my house in Lehi, i'd be lying if I said it didnt freak me out when it happened. Didnt know about the others though. Hopefully its not a sign that the big one is coming.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Earthquakes create new wheeling terrain I say bring on the earthquake!!!!

For sure. That's not a streaming lava flow coming out of that fissure in the earth, that's an obstacle.

What kind of PSI do you run for red hot magma, I wonder?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
started the week with a 3.2 in Bluffdale, and then i just heard there were a pair of 2's in Magna this morning. whats goin on? yea, theyre small, and i know someone will chime in with 'they happen all the time'

I guess I'll be that guy, but they do happen all the time :D. We've been feeling little ones out here in Magna since we moved here. The one before this put a new crack in my brickwork.

I did read somewhere that we've got better than even odds of experiencing a serious (5+) quake within the next fifty years. Makes me kinda want to go inventory my food storage and maybe lay in a couple more cans of gas.

Coco

I did read somewhere that we've got better than even odds of experiencing a serious (5+) quake within the next fifty years. Makes me kinda want to go inventory my food storage and maybe lay in a couple more cans of gas.

My only thoughts on this is if we have a serious quake, if it will trigger the super volcano under Yellowstone. They have had documentaries on that recently (within the last year or so I want to say), saying it is pretty unstable. I think if we get the big quake they have been talking about for so long, it will trigger the volcano, or vice versa.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
We had a 5.3 followed by a 5.8 here in Korea. Living on the 41st floor made that interesting.

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

Houndoc

We had a 5.3 followed by a 5.8 here in Korea. Living on the 41st floor made that interesting.

Never felt any while I was in Korea. Glad too since at that time their attitude towards construction standards was along the lines of 'a big earthquake will kill lots of people anyway, so why worry about it?'. Fortunately they have come along way in the last 3 decades!

Any idea what parts of the country it was felt in? (my son is in SW Korea).

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Never felt any while I was in Korea. Glad too since at that time their attitude towards construction standards was along the lines of 'a big earthquake will kill lots of people anyway, so why worry about it?'. Fortunately they have come along way in the last 3 decades!

Any idea what parts of the country it was felt in? (my son is in SW Korea).
They were between Daegu and Busan so far south. Lots of panicky people. I grew up in California and vividly remember the 1989 Loma Prieta quack so I wasn't worried but my family freaked out a bit.

These were the largest quakes in Korea since they started recording them in 1976 or close to it.

Houndoc

They were between Daegu and Busan so far south. Lots of panicky people. I grew up in California and vividly remember the 1989 Loma Prieta quack so I wasn't worried but my family freaked out a bit.

These were the largest quakes in Korea since they started recording them in 1976 or close to it.

My son is in Jeonju, straight west of that area. Have to ask him if he felt them at all.