Recommend me a streaming music service.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've been using a mix of Pandora and Amazon Prime Music for a while, but they ruined Amazon Music so I'm looking at options. I like that Pandora builds a playlist and suggests new music, but I want the ability to listen to specific albums/tracks and download them for offline listening which I can't do with Pandora.

I could upgrade to Pandora Premium but I don't know if they'll let you DL specific tracks? I could upgrade to Amazon Music Unlimited but I kinda would rather not give Amazon any more money than I already do. The wife has a Spotify account that is not impressive to me for a lot of reasons, and I don't know much about any of the other options.

Anybody use Slacker? Jango? Anything else I don't know about that'll hit all my wants?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I use Spotify because my wife and I decided last year to only pay for one music service rather than two. Before that, I was using Amazon Music Unlimited, and personally I liked it better than Spotify. But Spotify is fine. It gets me all the music and podcasts I listen too, I can download them and listen to them offline, and they have Bluey - The Album. So I'm golden:

STAG

On my grind
YouTube Music. Because it also gives completely ad-free videos on YouTube. The algorithm works well to suggesting songs similar to your music taste too.

Offline downloads are easy to do, and “unlimited” as long as you have storage space on your phone.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sirius XM, subscription for my Jeep that also gives me streaming options with my phone. I listen in my work truck with a bluetooth FM transmitter. Huge variety of genres, no commercials and plenty of extra channel stations that don't even have DJ's.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Doesn't work for you and your green bubble text messaging phone but I've been using apple music. Download and play offline any song in their catalog. Radio stations based off certain songs with no ads. I've probably doubled the music I have on my phone now and anytime a new album comes out I just download it.

Tonkaman

Apple Music for specific tracks. The wife got us on a family plan a while back and it’s been great. I do prefer Pandoras algorithm for finding new music that I’ll actually like though.

J-mobzz

Apple Music for specific tracks. The wife got us on a family plan a while back and it’s been great. I do prefer Pandoras algorithm for finding new music that I’ll actually like though.
Actually, one of the coolest things about Pandora is it’s not really just an algorithm. It’s also actual people classifying music. I do think that Pandora has the best set up for new music discovery.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I use Youtube music on a subscription. I like the ad free channels and the downloads. I don't like hearing songs from my daughter or wife's playlists though. I've been thinking of switching to Spotify, but I hate ads so I'd probably give up YouTube all together if I had to watch ads on the platform.

shortstraw8

My ipod just died, and apparently I had no backup so much live music I will probably never find again.
My wifes work provides paid Spotify, I don't really care for the streaming services algore-ithim. Even with the paid it doesn't seem to allow me to listen to an album correctly but it is nice for the wife and kids to have their own playlist and free.
We need a RME4x4 community contributed ampache style streaming service library....

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Paid Spotify user here. I love it.

However, I do have one complaint. I listen to WIDE range of music. From Otis Redding to Black Flag to Dilated Peoples to Morgan Wade to SOJA and back to CCR. I’m all over the place. So, for example; when listening to Otis Redding it will play the same artist and then start to add other (artist generally from the same genre) but for some reason it has started to play other artist I like and add them in to the current playlist. I don’t want to hear a 90’s hip hop song added into my 60’s soul playlist. Other than that, it’s been great for my needs.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I use apple and amazon or I just put the TV on youtube and play endless TSwift videos- but the YT ads have really been bugging me lately. They seem extra intense.