Recommended Clutch Kit for a 99 Wrangler?

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
So the time has come that I should really do a Clutch replacement on the TJ. I think the Throw Out Bearing is bad, which is frustrating because it came brand new installed by Novak with the new transmission which has less then a few hundred miles on it, and the pad and spring have been through a lot of abuse in it's short life (mileage wise).

Any suggestions on the best brand? I saw some things saying that "Luk" is the OEM and best one, but I'm curious if there is any aftermarket ones worth getting for crawling use instead of daily driving.

DAA

Supporting Member
I "think" OEM is Sachs. At least on the later TJ's, maybe not the '99?

I put the LUK in mine. The kit came with a plastic housing TO bearing so I bought a Timken separately and used it instead. No complaints with the LUK, it's fine. It is just a tad grabbier and not quite as easy to feather and modulate as the factory clutch was, IMO. And so if I have to replace it again I'll try the Sachs because I did slightly prefer the factory clutch to the LUK. But the LUK is fine.

- DAA

Really Old Guy

I "think" OEM is Sachs. At least on the later TJ's, maybe not the '99?

I put the LUK in mine. The kit came with a plastic housing TO bearing so I bought a Timken separately and used it instead. No complaints with the LUK, it's fine. It is just a tad grabbier and not quite as easy to feather and modulate as the factory clutch was, IMO. And so if I have to replace it again I'll try the Sachs because I did slightly prefer the factory clutch to the LUK. But the LUK is fine.

- DAA
Good move to the Timken. The Luk plastic housing throw out bearing siezed up on Flat Iron Mesa with only about 10,000 miles on it. Everything else with the Luk has been fine.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What symptoms are you experiencing that make you think the clutch needs replacing?

My TO bearing on my 95 YJ rattles a lot when idling, but I don’t care as long as it works.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
No manual Shifty for the Swifty? That's seems accurate... 😬🤣
20 years ago I would die for the argument of manual transmissions in jeeps/crawlers. I broke lots of parts with the extra shock loading, replaced clutches, had to gear it down lower for a good crawl ratio etc etc etc

Then I grew up and got an auto and it solved all those problems. Oh and the synchro issues in AX transmissions are gay too. That being said I still love driving them and will add a manual XJ/YJ/TJ to my fleet for my kids to learn how to drive. That’s a requirement.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
What symptoms are you experiencing that make you think the clutch needs replacing?

My TO bearing on my 95 YJ rattles a lot when idling, but I don’t care as long as it works.
Squeals a lot! And kind of needs to be forced into gear a bit. Just doesn't like shifting. It never squealed before we put that new transmission in. But it's squealed since that first day we got it running again. And has progressively gotten worse over the last couple years, and that's with very minimal driving.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
20 years ago I would die for the argument of manual transmissions in jeeps/crawlers. I broke lots of parts with the extra shock loading, replaced clutches, had to gear it down lower for a good crawl ratio etc etc etc

Then I grew up and got an auto and it solved all those problems. Oh and the synchro issues in AX transmissions are gay too. That being said I still love driving them and will add a manual XJ/YJ/TJ to my fleet for my kids to learn how to drive. That’s a requirement.
I just came up with a great phrase and had to use it to bully you!
I love driving the manual, brings me tons of extra joy. Though I'll admit it'd be much nicer to wheel in an automatic.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I had an AW4 to from my Cherokee sitting on the rack for years planning to swap into my TJ. The NV3500 is just so good though: when you only have 190hp... 15% less sucks in the sand.
If I could find a Liberty with one I'd trade right away. 😉