Redhead Steering Gear Box Shameless plug

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
My new to me 98 cummins ram has a bit of a history for me... My best friend's dad bought it new in 98, my dad bought it from him in 2005ish, and I just bought it from my dad. The original owner did the 3rd gen steering upgrade and had the unit bearings replaced at around 75K, I did the wheel bearings and replaced the steering linkage and added a BD steering brace at around 130K. The brace helped, but the steering always still felt like a late 90s dodge... until now.
I read the reviews, but I was still skeptical, but I'm going to try to daily the beast and I drive downtown, so I ponied up and bought the box. After managing to lose the lock washer for the pitman arm, and the tedious task of bleeding out the system, it drives fantastic. I might have skipped the brace if I'd started with the box, but I'm happy to know that the brace will keep the redhead box even more secure and stable. I seriously can't believe the difference it made to the truck. If you have a second gen with poo steering, I'd recommend it.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My new to me 98 cummins ram has a bit of a history for me... My best friend's dad bought it new in 98, my dad bought it from him in 2005ish, and I just bought it from my dad. The original owner did the 3rd gen steering upgrade and had the unit bearings replaced at around 75K, I did the wheel bearings and replaced the steering linkage and added a BD steering brace at around 130K. The brace helped, but the steering always still felt like a late 90s dodge... until now.
I read the reviews, but I was still skeptical, but I'm going to try to daily the beast and I drive downtown, so I ponied up and bought the box. After managing to lose the lock washer for the pitman arm, and the tedious task of bleeding out the system, it drives fantastic. I might have skipped the brace if I'd started with the box, but I'm happy to know that the brace will keep the redhead box even more secure and stable. I seriously can't believe the difference it made to the truck. If you have a second gen with poo steering, I'd recommend it.
I put a Redhead on my 2000 F-350. Not as dramatic a difference to what you're describing, but enough that I also put one on my Land Cruiser later. Good stuff. :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Good to hear! I drove from Utah to Florida and back in my old second gen Dodge…. Sure wish I would have known about the redheads then! Wow that steering got old after ten thousand miles straight 😂

I've gone through two on my 3rd gen in the past 7 years averaging 10k mile/yr. The first one lasted two years before it started to leak out of the top of the case. Redhead was kind enough to replace it free of charge for me. The second has been great, only annoyance is that I have to tightening it about 1/4 of a turn ever year or I start to get noticeable play in the wheel. Overall its still night and day difference compared to the stock box.

Side note: I do look forward to upgrading to the 4th gen box once prices are more favorable.