Removable Mud Flaps?

dutchman

KI7KSV
I've got a feeling I'm going to need to get some for my 4runner when it comes to inspection time in June/July. Who's got them? Where did you get them?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I built mine with a welded tube on the frame, then used chain, mudflap and a long bolt/pin to make it easy to remove.
I wish I had some pics to show you. Good luck!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I drilled holes in my bumper, and used 4 small hitch pins and some washers to hold them on. When I wanted them off, I just reached behind the bumper, pulled the pins, voila. Cost about $8 in parts and 10min to make.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I drilled holes in my bumper, and used 4 small hitch pins and some washers to hold them on. When I wanted them off, I just reached behind the bumper, pulled the pins, voila. Cost about $8 in parts and 10min to make.

Do you happen to have any pics of your set-up?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
we use a straight square tube with a u bolt around the trailer hitch, flaps on the end. Easy, cheap, passes. Use again next year.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Funny this came up because I was just searching the net for a decent looking option. I think I may fab up something like this:
View attachment 79761
and weld it to my rear bumper.

That option looks good. I guess I need to figure out if I need the flaps first.... My tires aren't wider than the body of my 4runner, do I need to have flaps? I thought I did, but I've heard conflicting information. I just want to have a plan ready if I need to add mudflaps.

Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

dutchman

KI7KSV
I'm mostly concerned the height of the rear bumper, it doesn't cover half of the rear tire height.

RearBumper4.jpg

RearBumper5.jpg

Tonkaman

The police are going to want mudflaps covering down to the wheel center. As far as width they will consider that a fender flare issue. In the past I have bought one semi mudflap, cut it in half and drilled a couple holes on the edge. Bolt that to the rear wheel well as a temporary cover. For something clean looking I run Rock Tamers. They mount to the receiver hitch and are adjustable in width and height

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I made a set for my old ZJ after getting hassled a few times... Truth be told, it needed them, with more than 90% of the tire exposed.

I used a set of truck stop mud flaps, trimmed down a bit, and bolted to some old running board ends and a little piece of angle iron. They were held on by two half inch head bolts and nuts per side, came off completely and cleanly in about one minute, and covered a lot more than they had to, which resulted in me being able to get away with the tires poking out of the body by a couple of inches.

This is what they looked like:
holymudflap.jpg

Weren't too pretty, but they worked.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Looks aren't too much of a concern for me. I like the set up you've got there Zombie.

Capt Scotty, that teraflex kit looks good I just need to see if it can make it work with my 4runner frame.

Edit: Just saw that you need to drill into the frame. I think these would work nicely.

Last edited:

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I'm not sure how your runner's bumper is set up, but this is a shot of the first version of these I had... they were made out of some old floormats, and didn't hold up well...

allfour.JPG

So you can see Idrilled a couple of holes in that flat plate on the wheel well end of the bumper and bolted up there.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I just buy semi mudflaps at six states and cut them in half and use scrap metal from the metal store or even Lowe's/HD to make it work. I installed some of the quick disconnect ones from a shop on a rig for a buddy of mine and they were crappy. I was not impressed with them at all.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I welded a 1/4" bolt to my bumper and a wingnut holds it on . I like em' hanging off the bumper so I dont have to make brackets behind the wheel-well . I also bring mine down to the bottom of the rim to keep the UHP happy . Also made to the width of my tire. Works perfect hauling a trailer.
MyMoab2012050.jpg

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I took hitch pins cut one end off and welded them to my bumper then just got some round tube that slide over the pins. Welded washers to them to hang the mud flaps.

348rightside-post-med.JPG

348rightside-on2-med.JPG

They were still zip-tied in this pic but later got bolted on
tiremount2.sized.jpg

Team1k

I really like the setup my friend did and if you have d-rings it doesnt require much. Took a piece of pipe, welded a nut on one end and attached the flaps to the other. If i ever get to the point i need some ill probably go this route.

flaps.jpgflaps2.jpg