Removing swirl marks

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
While on the journey to getting my Tow rig back to its previous glory the paint needs help... Its in great shape it just has some swirl marks in it from the previous owner. I wax the truck every year and have had no luck getting them out, I assume the swirls are in the clear coat. What will it take to get them out and where do I take it to get it done. I have come to the conclusion that maybe wet sanding the truck and buffing it back out is what needs to be done but I really have no idea...

Any decent advice is welcome...

I have no interest in doing this myself even though I am sure it is fairly easy

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Just waxing my truck is too much work for me. I really just want to pay someone the couple hundred bucks and drop it off.

LJENS

Any good body shop should have a person dedicated to polishing dirt nibs and the like. The shop I was at did anyway. I remember on a few occasions, people paid to have their cars polished. I couldn't tell you what the price was.

Bart

Wet sand with 1000 grit sand paper. Buff with polishing compound, but be careful not to burn through the clear coat. Wax wax wax after that.

2015-01-21_163456.jpg

We can make it look like new :eek:

We've been so busy with our regular clients that I haven't actively looked for more business... in turn I've never got a vendor star. We are expanding our offerings right now however, so I'll be getting a vendor star ASAP and will post up on what we do... In the mean time, feel free to check us out on facebook (Diesel Pirate) or our website. Both of which have been slightly neglected but will get a lot more attention very soon.

Trate D

I have been looking for a place to do my truck also. It's black..... What a headache. But if it turned out like the one pictured, I am definitely interested.

I have been looking for a place to do my truck also. It's black..... What a headache. But if it turned out like the one pictured, I am definitely interested.

The one pictured is probably the best and worst black one we've done so far... It looked terrible before... Scratches and swirls everywhere, along with hazing that made it look almost gray. However, the clear coat was in great shape (no peeling, no scratches to the base, etc) so it turned out awesome!

We are moving to our new building in salt lake this week and next, I'll buy a vendor star and post up when we're ready for more business.

Trate D

The one pictured looks terrible before..... And beautiful after. Mine actually shines up fairly well just lots of swirls.

I'll definitely be watching for your post.