Rim width for 13.50 tire?

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
Looking for opinions and experience-based feedback on whether to run an 8" or 10" wide wheel with a 13.50 wide tire? I am swayed to the 8" for only one reason: I already have 8" wheels. What do you think?

huntinkid

its recomended to have a 8.5 or more for a 35 to 37 x12.50 so 15x10 in fact would be better. but i think tires look better with a "bulge" that 15x8's give 35's

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I had better luck with 10" on my 13.5s the 8" seemed to rush air out te beads when I put sidewall pressure on them... I tried 8",10"and 12" wheels just because I had them... 10" worked best for me.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I run a 15 inch wide tire on an 8 inch wide wheel at 4 pounds and have never popped a bead yet it totally depends on the tire manufacturer every brand tire is gonna react differently no matter if they are marked the same size on the sidewall. Since you have the 8 inch wide wheels run them and don't look back.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
There is a lot that will play into it... Tire height will play a big factor.. I ran 31x13.50x15 sx super swampers and the sidewall would just fold over and push against the bead... If you were running a 42" tire then you will have a ton of side wall and may not have a problem.. Also side wall thickness will have an effect along with air pressure running.. With mine on a 8" wheel I was ok at 10 psi but with the thicker sidewall I needed less air pressure.

You need to decide what you will try and do it, just remember if you have to change wheels you risk bead damage.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate the help! I always feel better getting real experience answers rather than just what the manufacturer recommends. Thanks again!

leorn

reset
I run mine on a 7" wide rim. I have been happy with it and did it for cost reasons, not performance reasons. The bulge does some protecting, and i like the look of it. I would probably go 9-10" rims if cost were not a consideration.

sixstringsteve

If you've got the 8's, I say try it for a while and see what you think. I like skinny wheels with wide tires, but that's just me. I've never run a 13.5" tire, but I have run a 12.5" on a 7.5" wheel and it was fine.

EB101

One thing that seems worth mentioning... wheels with the same backspacing can give you substantially wider track width. It seems if you go with a 10 vs 8 it'll give you almost 4 inches wider track. JMHO here.