RME Quarterly Training Day - April 2012

sixstringsteve

Quarterly 4x4 Training Day
A Rockymountainextreme.com Event

April 20-21

Miller Motorsports Park (offroad driving course)

What is Get to Know your 4x4 Training Day all about?
Whether you're brand new to the 4x4 scene, or you've been competing for years, you're invited to attend RME's quarterly 4x4 training day. Come learn how to drive your 4x4 vehicle offroad with an overnight campout/instruction day at miller motorsports park where you'll get to meet experienced RME members and learn techniques related to safety, recovery, driving, spotting, land use, and much more. Most importantly, you'll get to practice driving your rig over a variety of obstacles with experienced wheelers standing by to offer advice. This event has replaced "noob runs" of the past.

Who
Everyone is welcome, new members, friends, family, and veteran wheelers. Even if you're not an RME member you're welcome to attend. This event is aimed at drivers, and non-drivers will most likely not enjoy this event. We are limiting registration to 30 people due to classroom size.

Cost
$20 per vehicle (NOT per person). The fee will help cover expenses, food costs, Miller Motorsports Park facility rental and associated fees. This is a heavily discounted rate (normally $35/rig), and it's way cheaper than us getting our own insurance for an event like this.

Vehicle requiremets
- 4 wheel drive (but leave the subaru at home)
Anything from a stock 4x4 to a we-rock buggy is welcome to attend. We have obstacles big and small. Expect zero body damage unless you're trying to get it. Getting to know your own rig and its limitations is one of the most important aspects of being a great wheeler.

Link to directions

Remember, this is not a Miller Motorsports Event. They may not know much about our event at the gate. Just tell them you're with the rockcrawling group.

Check-in
Proceed to the main gate at the Miller Motorsports Park (next to the museum and the main ticket office). Let security know your taking part in an event at the Off-Road Park. They will direct you onto the grounds and all the way West out to the off-road park where you will see us. Keep in mind we won't have anyone at the park ready for you to check-in until 6PM

What to bring
- 4x4 rig to wheel
- tent/trailer/something to sleep in
- dinner Friday night, lunch Sat afternoon
- camp chairs to sit in. Miller Motorsports park will not be providing chairs. Please bring your own.
- firewood (fires are allowed in contained, portable pits with the stipulation that you clean up for a nice, no-trace fire when you leave the park.)

To register
There are only 30 available openings for this event. To register, just reply to this thread saying you'll attend. Please check your pm's regularly since this is how we will be getting in touch with you as we get closer to the event.

The price includes a continental breakfast (fruits, muffins, OJ, milk, donuts, etc.)

By attending, you do not hold me, RME, or any other RME members liable for damage, loss, theft, or injury.

Here's a video from last Quarter's Training Day:
[video=youtube_share;nElPXA3mW94]http://youtu.be/nElPXA3mW94[/video]

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Registered Attendees:
1 -
2 - modstock
3 - TJDikit
4 - Omgbecki
5 - moosecruiser
6 - skippy
7 - skmohanty
8 - redXJ (and brother)
9 - midog
10 - Ricsrx
11 - Hunter
12 - jonascalhoun
13 - MrBlack
14 - Tonkaman
15 - Wes & Lisa
16 - Royvfx
17 - Bobn
18 - Red62
19 - JL Rockies
20 - Devin B
21 - Shane Briggs
22 - Sawtooth
23 - jeffe03
24 - Kevin B.
25 - Lewis
26 -
27 -
28 -
29 -
30 -

Undecided:
- Aaron Massey
- blznnp
- WillyLin

Friday, April 20, 2012
6-7 PM: Arrive. Set up tents/camp. Eat dinner. Meet n greet.
7-7:30 PM: Course on how to prepare for a trip: what to bring, trail repairs, maintenance, tools, recovery, etc. (taught by sixstringsteve)
7:30- 8 PM: Intro to Modifying your vehicle (taught by sixstringsteve)
8-9 PM: History of 4x4's (with Utah portion) - (taught by Stephen N from Iconic Camping with a small portion by Kurt from CruiserOutfitters)
9-10 PM: Intro to 4x4 opportunities in Utah II (taught by Kurt from ExpeditionUtah.com)

Saturday, April 21, 2012
8-9 AM: Free Continental Breakfast (courtesy of Teraflex)
9-10 AM: Trail Etiquette/Tread lightly - (taught by Stephen from Iconic Camping, possibly help from Dave @ BLM)
10-11 AM - TBD
11 AM - 12 PM: in-class winching/recovery 101 (taught by Kurt from Cruiseroutfitters) Good to Go
12-1 PM: Lunch - bring your own
1-1:30 PM: on-course, hands-on recovery with Kurt. Actually winching, using a snatch block, tow strap, etc. If some want to stick around for more instruction they can while everyone else heads to the course to drive.
1:30-5 PM: Advanced spotting and driving: on-course practice (taught by Marc and Scott)

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I am hopeful for this one. There is a chance we will be having an exercise and I'll have to work the weekend. I'll let you know for sure once I get the dates.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
By attending, you do not hold me, RME, or any other RME members liable for damage, loss, theft, or injury.

heh, I won't hold RME responsible for any theft, but if any Training Day attendee steals from ME, I am going to straight-up murder them. :D

Of course, I don't expect any issues. :D

Come one, come all! It's a really great opportunity to get to know your rig's capabilities if you don't already, or to explore other scenarios if you do.. and there will be a lot of good instruction, discussion, and camaraderie. There is nothing bad about this event.

I'm in to teach or something if I'm available... get in touch, not sure what my schedule is for April just yet.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Fires are allowed in contained, portable pits with the stipulation that you clean up for a nice, no-trace fire when you leave the park.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bump, this is a fabulous learning opportunity for new and old alike. We are going to start pimping this to folks on FB and other local forums so I expect it to fill up fast. Reserve your spot now!

blznnp

Bump, this is a fabulous learning opportunity for new and old alike. We are going to start pimping this to folks on FB and other local forums so I expect it to fill up fast. Reserve your spot now!
i would love to commit to this right now but im not sure if I will have my rig ready. Still got a couple things to do but don't have the time I need.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Posted this up on my facebook. I really don't have that many local friends on there who wheel but there are a couple. Even if it only brought in one person it's just good exposure for RME and for this awesome event.

4biker

I need to come and finish off my rear bumper once and for all :D. Unless my wife gives birth around that time, I'll be attending.