Rock Slide Engineering slider install -- '21 Gladiator (JT)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
1670627287964.png

I posted this pic up in my "build" thread (bought?). This will be the first "real" bolt on other than the under seat compressor and some antennas. I've seen these for years on the trail and they seem to take the abuse quite well. Excited to get them on the "truck". Hopefully they knock some spray off the windows in inclement weather.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've wanted a set of those from day one for my Gladiator.

They will keep the rock chips off the hinges and rear fenders, as well as dirt and road grime off the sides. I think the step will also prevent the seat bolster on the outside from excessive were over time, with a lifted Jeep. I know my wife would appreciate having the step to assist getting in and out.

Don't the mounts tie in to the body mount and the frame? Do you have to drill into the body at all with these? 😳

mbryson

Supporting Member
I've wanted a set of those from day one for my Gladiator.

They will keep the rock chips off the hinges and rear fenders, as well as dirt and road grime off the sides. I think the step will also prevent the seat bolster on the outside from excessive were over time, with a lifted Jeep. I know my wife would appreciate having the step to assist getting in and out.

Don't the mounts tie in to the body mount and the frame? Do you have to drill into the body at all with these? 😳
No drilling on these. Your observations are some of the reasons I'm snagging them

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
:cool: My kiddos and wife like the step. I do like what Greg pointed out about bolster wear. I certainly don’t think of them as rocker protection. They seem pretty thin skinned, and at $2k they’re a pricey slider.

My drivers side doesn’t like the cold, they don’t fully retract and slow down. I have new shock ready to install, but have been putting it off waiting for a warm day. I had a good experience with their customer support.

Felt like an idiot driving around like this, so I just turned them off:

4DCF3749-CF15-4A75-A0EC-445943F464FA.jpeg

mbryson

Supporting Member
Fishing the wiring harness through this hole is becoming pretty common on this truck. I added a 40 amp fuse so battery service will be 4000 times easier. Under the OEM positive cover, there's a spot for 3-4 terminal connections. Seemed like a nightmare to change the battery that way, so I added one connection and fused that for ARB compressor, aux fuse box (HAM and other radios, etc)16706944506289023081142075577743.jpg16706956461463943158141928739733.jpg

Nice glob of tape there, eh?

1670695847916929931222545811959.jpg

Glob of tape is hiding all of that chunk of harness. Positive and negative connection and that huge switch. I had to try a couple times to get that through all of my ARB compressor, and auxiliary fuse box wiring along with the all important rock lights installed by the dealership I bought the truck from. It's there and that's all that matters.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
:cool: My kiddos and wife like the step. I do like what Greg pointed out about bolster wear. I certainly don’t think of them as rocker protection. They seem pretty thin skinned, and at $2k they’re a pricey slider.

My drivers side doesn’t like the cold, they don’t fully retract and slow down. I have new shock ready to install, but have been putting it off waiting for a warm day. I had a good experience with their customer support.

Felt like an idiot driving around like this, so I just turned them off:

View attachment 154787
I am concerned about that as well. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me but with my luck, I'm sure it would be prudent to be prepared for that to happen

mbryson

Supporting Member
This switch took about 30 min to get in cleanly. If someone is doing this and following along, I'd move the switch closer towards the battery (left from the driver's seat about 1/2-3/4" and about 1/4-1/2" towards the front of the car)

16706986842672999664556440663889.jpg

16706987405121284574076323793288.jpg

Now I can get back to the glossy printed RSE directions instead of adding mine.

Ha!!!! If I'd have read the instructions (aux) I'd have noticed this cute little bracket and saved myself 27 minutes16706993739117375040102497875386.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Ok, that harness was kind of a pain. I don't help with having the ARB compressor under the seat but the harness is in now for those keeping score.

My wife brought me a sammich (not in a bikini or lingerie like in my dreams but still, pretty cool) to the garage. So we spent a little lunch time together. Had some fun chats about the kids as the wandered into the kitchen. Family is 😎

Pass door sensors and grommet.

16707053005922878082291400989218.jpg
Driver side16707060332636560376381360673456.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Lots of interruptions today but I have sliders/steps. Magnets/switches aren't horrible to tune but there is some tuning required. I had three of four in good shape. Rear driver door needed some adjustment. Pretty sweet to have the steps.

I just found some lights and am trying to figure out the cool kid place to put those. They are not in the directions.

16707293355096230339477319306173.jpg

16707293545708680001798523704077.jpg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I lube the moving points every oil change per Rockslide. The drivers side has loosened a little and might have a slight rattle on rough roads. I looked at it to see if there are any adjustments to take the looseness out, but didn't really see anything. I did find a couple of the internal fasteners slightly loose; I gave them a good snug-up while I was looking at them.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I lube the moving points every oil change per Rockslide. The drivers side has loosened a little and might have a slight rattle on rough roads. I looked at it to see if there are any adjustments to take the looseness out, but didn't really see anything. I did find a couple of the internal fasteners slightly loose; I gave them a good snug-up while I was looking at them.

They suggest penetrating oil as lube per the directions. Did I read that right Liquid Wrench or the like?