Rock Slide Engineering slider install -- '21 Gladiator (JT)

STAG

On my grind
I watched a reel video where a guy went to go step out of his truck and the step didn’t come out right away and he fell all the way to the ground 😂 must have went with knockoff ones

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I watched a reel video where a guy went to go step out of his truck and the step didn’t come out right away and he fell all the way to the ground 😂 must have went with knockoff ones

I've turned mine off and done similar. Still love these. They had teething issues but once I got those sorted out they've been great

mbryson

Supporting Member
As some observant folks noticed, I had to work on my passenger side slider over the weekend. Rock Slide tech support couldn't be better. We diagnosed a control module issue a few weeks ago for the passenger side slider. I had time to change that out on Sat. I did not have success other than replacing parts and had to call RSE tech support again this morning.

Rock Slide is sending me a new motor and were willing to let me keep existing parts until we get the issue resolved. I'll update when I get the new motor.

The sliders are held on to the body pretty impressively. Bolts through the "pinch weld" on the bottom of the body and brackets/mounts to the body mounts. I've apparently hit these pretty hard a few times (I don't have the armor that Rock Slide sells as I don't plan to beat on the JT like some folks do) but the sliders haven't even winced. There are 12 vertical bolts that mount to the body mount brackets and 6-7 (?) horizontal bolts (some require 7/16" wrench and most use a 1/2"---you'll definitely want a ratcheting wrench for these dawgs) with nuts/washers. The vertical bolts zip off with an impact without any issues.

Pulling these on/off isn't horrible but a bit of work and the sliders are reasonably heavy. I can handle them in my advancing age and fitness level (none) without too much trouble but it's nice to have a 2nd set of hands so you don't risk scratching your paint on the JT.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
So we are back and working again. 20231212_193311.jpg

Replacement motor and control module

20231212_213222.jpg

Deployed. Now it can be washed more betterer

20231212_213213.jpg

and it retracts.

I honestly wonder if there is more of a wiring connector issue than anything else wrong? @ebryson and I tweaked on a pin out of the connector that could have been causing any/all issues as I reassembled. We'll see how things go

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
@mbryson That's a really nice rig! I'm sure working steps are greatly appreciated by the Mrs. and little ones.

No little folks in my life for a while. Looking forward to that phase but it will be at least 8-9 months from now before we have a candidate and a 18-24 months from there until we have a suitable tester. No rush from my side. My kids are 26, 23 and 19. They've got time

The Mrs will appreciate the steps working. She's been a bit grumpy with the truck the few times she's been in it since the step hasn't been operational. I'll have to figure out a reason for her to go in the truck somewhere in the next few days and see if the slider operation is noticed

I'm super happy with the truck except for things like 14 bolts and 5' beds with insanely expensive tailgates. Makes it necessary to use a trailer out of caution. Honestly, I see a real use for a "yard truck". An older 460, stick shift F350 or similar. V10 would be fine as well (they just all seem to be automatics and Ford 4 speed autos are not awesome). A 454 or 8.1L truck would be strongly considered as well. I trust a 4L80 trans decently (maybe I'd learn something there and they're not as reliable as I think?). Our car insurance is absolutely insane at the moment. I don't want to add another vehicle to that.

Last edited:

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
The passenger side motor is going out on mine. I called RE yesterday and got a new motor ordered. Looks like the rockslider has to come off to replace the motor. Did you replace the motor on yours MBryson?

mbryson

Supporting Member
The passenger side motor is going out on mine. I called RE yesterday and got a new motor ordered. Looks like the rockslider has to come off to replace the motor. Did you replace the motor on yours MBryson?

I did replace the motor in December 2023. I am not sure that was necessary? As you take the harness apart, check and verify that all of the pins stay where they were supposed to when assembled. I had one pin that the tab wasn't in the locked position once assembled on the two wire harness that powers the whole unit. That seemed to give me inconsistent results for the passenger side step. I bent the tab out a little more when I replaced the motor (motor replaced at Rock Slides expense) and either the tab bending and/or the motor replacement has been good to me.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Changed out the motor on the passenger side this weekend. It works perfectly now. Took about 2 1/2 hours total and I didn't need to adjust anything when done, the slider closes flush. There was a bit of sand inside, so both got a good rinse with water and then a good lube job. The drivers side sounds weird now, so probably looking at work on it in the future.

20240225_140229.jpgRockslider L.jpg