Jeep rod ends? whats the best ones?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
so i have a skyjacker 4 inch lift on my LJ and the other day while taking apart the driveline I noticed my lower control arm ends had about a 1/4 inch of play in them... both front and rears... I know these are rebuildable but was looking to see what other ends are out there that are more robust....

I have looked at curries johnny joints and they look great but I know there are others out there... who has the one that has the locking nuts on both sides so as to tight them down now and again as they wear out? or am I just dreaming?

DAA

I think the Currie's are pretty hard to beat for a cartridge joint. Especially on a Jeep that sees a lot of road miles. Mine have about 60K miles on them now running 35's over mega miles of dirt and are as tight and right as the day I installed them - a few wouldn't even take grease until the had about 20K miles on them. But, they aren't adjustable. I think both Ballistic and Evo's are adjustable.

- DAA

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Evolution heims are the best out there.

Clays life goal is to make the strongest, most durable heims out there and he has succeeded.

But in turn they are a little more money. But they never will need replaced. IF you wear them out (massive if) they are easily rebuildable.

I have several on the Scout. Working on upgrading all of them.

gijohn40

thanks Cheston I think I will be ordering me up some....

Ok next question... which end do you put the joint on? the axle side or the frame side? I have seen it done both ways... and give a reasoning for why you did it that way...

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Myself i would do joints on both ends.

Lift companies will do a bushing to help with ride and noise control.

Thats one of the best thing about the evo heim. They do not squeek when they get dirty. Silent in fact.

DAA

My Currie arms have the JJ's on both ends too. I even put JJ's on the axle for the front uppers. NVH isn't noticeable. I think my LJ rides about as good as a lifted LJ on short arms could.

- DAA

gijohn40

it has a 45 degree angle to them... from all the others I looked at they are only 40 degrees with the spacers. beside I am on short arms and they don't flex all the much...