Rot Box’s Superduty

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The IDI days were good ones. Put a lot of miles on the ol’ girl exploring dirt roads and far off places. Camping, fishing, exploring... it was a sad day when I let that one go 😔

5827BE21-B8C4-44BF-9D5F-D3A33F2B35EB.jpeg

Moved to Florida for two years then came back.. thankfully. So I picked up a 99 Suburban 2500 with the 7.4l big block. I was hoping it would be a good replacement for the IDI. While it is a great vehicle the shortcomings of the autotrack transfer case (finicky push button/clutch pack) and the ifs quickly stood out. I needed to haul the
bike when we take the camp trailer as well so having an suv it wasn’t quite cutting it.

8D49B57E-33E8-4F5A-87E4-6A022C7BF8DA.jpeg

I’ve had my sights on another 7.3 for awhile now. IDI’s in the same configuration as my last one (five speed, crew cab, Turbo, 4x4) in decent shape for a half decent price are few and far between.

Earlier this week I found out my new boss was looking to sell a 99 Superduty. I asked him about it an as it turns out it ticked off a bunch of boxes. 7.3 powerstroke, manual five speed, manual transfer case lever(!), crew cab, 4x4 and a long bed. Oh boy! I was excited but it turns out there is one small—tiny issue..... it’s purple! Hahaha 😂

151BF76C-6011-4890-9ED8-067A0C5513DE.jpeg

So I bought it anyway! It was used for hauling horses for much of its life and needed a good cleaning. It needs a lot of nickel and dime things but it’s in good shape overall. I’m hoping to do a lot of backroads exploring in it as well as haul the camp trailer when needed.

Should I name it Barney? Or Tinky Winky (purple telletubby)???

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The 5 speed surprises me.

It surprised me too i thought for sure it would be a six. I knew the v8 and 10 gassers came with the ZF5 during the early superduty years but the diesels having them is news to me. I can’t find anything online about it aside from a few others for sale that have them. I’m thinking it’s very rare :thinking:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I like tinky winky. I’d also vote for purple nurple.
I think a level kit and some more bigger tires, and it will make it look good enough that the purple will be awesomer.

Do yourself a favor and buy some newer body style mirrors. They make such a huge difference in visibility. Those current mirrors are the worst thing Ford ever made

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Just did a much needed oil/filter, fuel filter, serp belt and idler and a bunch more cleaning. Looks like I’ll be doing glow plugs as well. Kind of intimidated by it last time I did glow plugs was in my Florida Jetta and they snapped off in the head with very little effort. Hoping this one goes well.

Clutch petal assembly is in rough shape too I need to figure out what to do there. I ordered a heim joint for the push rod which should help but I’m worried I have a bent clutch fork as the petal goes right to the floor before it disengages.

Once I get the maintenance out of the way I’ll feel better about getting it out for a maiden voyage.