Rubbing Fan on a 96 Cherokee

Nagrom

My fan seems to be etended beyond what it normally is. It was rubbing on the fan shroud, so I removed that but the center of the fan is hitting the radiator. It is'nt constant it only happens @ certain RPM's, But I was just wondering if anyone knows WTF is wrong off the top of their head?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Is this on the engine driven fan or the electric one?
I assume the engine one....
Check your motor mnts, the motor torques up with twist thus moving the fan...OR I have also had the shaft on the fan pulley begin to pull itself out of the mnt....ie fan is closer to the radiator than normal.

Marc

Nagrom

rckcrlr said:
Check your motor mnts, the motor torques up with twist thus moving the fan...OR I have also had the shaft on the fan pulley begin to pull itself out of the mnt....ie fan is closer to the radiator than normal.

Marc
It is the belt driven fan, But the fan does'nt seem to move with my hand when I push or pull on it. I have not checked my motor mounts though so I'll do that. Thanx

Caleb

yep, I agree with Marc...I would almost be willing to put money on motor mounts, Jeeps are notorious for blowing MMs...

Nagrom

Supergper said:
yep, I agree with Marc...I would almost be willing to put money on motor mounts, Jeeps are notorious for blowing MMs...
What's entailed to fix the motor mounts? Should I be afraid? :eek:

Caleb

they are pretty easy to fix usually...just need a way to lift the engine a little (engine hoist, floor jack, etc)

Nagrom

Supergper said:
they are pretty easy to fix usually...just need a way to lift the engine a little (engine hoist, floor jack, etc)
Where are they located? I took a flashlight and tried to see if I could notice anything loose or tweaked, but I could'nt see anything.

Caleb

Nagrom said:
Where are they located? I took a flashlight and tried to see if I could notice anything loose or tweaked, but I could'nt see anything.

where's the motor mounts? they are on both sides of the engine and should attach the the "frame" rail...never really bothered to look at the ones on cherokee though...on my wrangler I drove for a long time with a broken mount, I didn;t even realize it was broken (even looking right at it) till I stripped my wrangler and the engine came out, I then found out it was completely broken...

Nagrom

Supergper said:
where's the motor mounts? they are on both sides of the engine and should attach the the "frame" rail...never really bothered to look at the ones on cherokee though...on my wrangler I drove for a long time with a broken mount, I didn;t even realize it was broken (even looking right at it) till I stripped my wrangler and the engine came out, I then found out it was completely broken...
Thanks, I'll see if it's somthin my friend can handle cause it's definately above my head.

Nagrom

rckcrlr said:

Marc
Just finished replacing all three of my motor mounts! My engine was sitting about four inches lower than it should have. When it shifted it sheared off all three bolts on one of my motor mounts like scissors. It was a pain drilling out all three bolts. But you were right it was my motor mounts, Thanks for your help man :D