Sacrificing your tow rig to protect the little ones

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
This story is getting quite a bit of attention. Teen steals grandfather's car (how old is this grandfather???) and takes it on a joy ride. Concerned citizen, turned vigilante, takes matters into his own hands and "rams" the perp.

http://fox13now.com/2014/05/31/video-car-fleeing-from-police-goes-through-park-nearly-hits-children/

So...how is the insurance company going to handle this? Think he gets sued? He could have played the ignorance card and said he was just driving down the road when the teen hit him, but blabbing to the press that he did it on purpose now leaves him vulnerable to lawsuits.

Troop92

The guy was an off-duty police officer, had been listening to proceedings and helping police...

I couldn't care less if there was an impending insurance mess, if I was able to stop some idiot teen for potentially causing more damage or bodily harm, I'd have done the same. Good on this guy.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
The after pictures dont show any damage to the truck.. but it doesnt show linkages and oil pan either..

Jesser04

That guy is a hero if you ask me. If the insurance company won't pay for it hopefully the community will step in an help him. I can only imagine if my kid was at that park.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
He is being given painted(color matched if requested) fusion bumpers for his participation, I can't remember who is gifting them for sure but pretty awesome! Read about it on facebook where he was told they would be free...

I think it's great he was able to stop as it could have gotten worse and surprised it haven't already since he had gone threw the park once before...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The guy was an off-duty police officer, had been listening to proceedings and helping police...

Actually he isn't. No idea why one of the stations reported that. I know the guy, grew up with him in Carbon County. Just had dinner with him & his wife a couple months ago. :)
He's always had a knack for doing interesting things with his vehicles. :D

They were at the park and the kid in the car drove through then made another pass near-by. He knew that the car was going to come back around.

Bart

The guy is a hero and I hope the insurance companies don't get stupid with the situation. Love the exhaust smoke as he punches it on impact.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the law allows the use of reasonable force to stop a crime in progress. I'd say that witnessing that reckless run through the park and having intimate knowledge of the roadways, along with the truck guy's ability to articulate his reasons for doing what he did, should insulate him at least a little bit from any repercussions.

Toad

I think it is great. I would have done the same thing. Luckily nobody got hurt. Could have had a far worse outcome than just a destroyed Hyundai.