South-West Utah sand hollow / ST. George help

seriousblamo

My brother and I are looking to run some of your trails in the sand hollow area 5-8 April.
We will be leaving SO CAL Friday morning and attempting to run the area until Monday.

Looking for some advise on camping ie where is the best place in proximity to the trails. primitive is ok but would be nice to have access to water if possible, we do not need hookups just a good camping sight where we could possibly have a fire and not spend a ton of money.

trail navigation. if possible it would be outstanding to get some local support or guidance if anyone has time. It would be nice not to drive in circles trying to figure stuff out

we both have very capable rigs and have the ability to drive them well. We are looking at the more extreme end of the spectrum.
I have a stretched tj on 39's and my Bro has an FJ40 buggy on 40's cars and driving styles can be seen here
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrqtipp1/videos

any help is much appreciated

chadr

Sand Hollow State Park has both primitive and non primitive camping. It is central to where you want to go wheeling anyway. I would look into it if you are not familiar with the area. I am sure that there will be others that could go out with you that weekend.

camdawg

I will be down there with a few friends on those dates we are staying in the sand pit campground inside the park . I have a re buggy come and find us if you want to run some trails

CSR

Sand Pit campground is the place to stay. Hot showers and flush toilets are available in the middle of the campground, and there are fire pits in each camp spot. RV hookups are available, but they tend to go pretty fast. The campground is located very near the base of what, in my opinion, is the best wheeling in the area. And I'm a buggy guy, too. I think it was somewhere around $20 per night in an RV spot when I went a few weeks ago. Try to get reservations ahead of time if you can at reserveamerica.com (search Sand Hollow state park). Trails to hit (again--my opinion) include The Nasty Half, Chain Reaction, and Arrowhead Canyon. Arrowhead Canyon is particularly unkind to drivetrain parts, cages, sidewalls, and body panels, so you'd best tie in with someone who can spot you through--and have GOOD WINCHES with you. There are spots where you've got a real problem if you break and your winch is suspect. There's some good info and maps here: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?92083-St-George-UT-Sand-Hollow-Riding-Area

If you want to explore more of the area, go all the way up the north facing area of the park. You'll hit some pretty good size dunes at the top, and if you veer westward from there a mile or two, you'll run into an area called the Maze that has a lot of fun obstacles where you can pick and choose your routes. To get an idea of the general layout of the area, I would Google Earth Sand Hollow state park. The good wheeling areas are pretty much located around the edges of the mesa that the park occupies.

Last edited:

81toyota

81toyota
hay I can go out on 6 or 7 with if you don't mind live by sand hollow have toy truck pm with # can call to go out

Last edited: