Save Arch Canyon

UtahFire

Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA) has filed a petition with the BLM to close yet another amazing OHV route in Utah's desert southwest.

http://www.suwa.org

Please send an letter or email to the BLM manager expressing your concern over this closure. They are accepting comments until April 6th so please don't delay.

Sandra Meyers, Manager
Brian Quigley
BLM-Monticello Field Office
435 North Main Street
PO Box 7
Monticello, UT 84535

Sandra_Meyers@blm.gov

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Letter sent.
Could you imagine if all RME'rs sent letters what kind of impact that might have?
Thanks to UtahFire.
Keep fighting the good fight!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
A couple pics from last week to get you in the "frame of mind" ;)

Arch Canyon:

Attachments

• Arch_Hotel 059 (Medium).jpg
    Arch_Hotel 059 (Medium).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Arch_Hotel 086 (Medium).jpg
    Arch_Hotel 086 (Medium).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 26

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You always seem to be everywhere in the state! Looks like a nice place to visit. Do a write up ;)

I'm working on a writeup... here was our route:
Sandy to Moab, Moab to Blanding, Camped near the Arch Canyone TH. Ran Arch Canyon, camped. Ran Hotel Rock, checked out ruins in area, camped. Ran Comb Wash to Bluff, Ut... checked out the HITR Pioneer stuff. Drove the Valley of the Gods trail, then had lunch in Mexican Hat. Back north via Moki Dugway & Hanksville, stopped for a bit to check out Natural Bridges Nat. Monument. A lot of driving in 4 days ;)

A couple more pics :cool:

Attachments

• Arch_Hotel 010 (Small).jpg
    Arch_Hotel 010 (Small).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Arch_Hotel 037 (Small).jpg
    Arch_Hotel 037 (Small).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Arch_Hotel 094 (Small).jpg
    Arch_Hotel 094 (Small).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 16

richs88rocker

Letter sent,

Sent, I found this on there web site. This is what they wanted everyone to send in. Got me a little fired up.

# I oppose the use of motorized vehicles, including off-road vehicles, in Arch Canyon and I oppose the BLM’s plan to issue permits for off-road vehicle events in Arch Canyon. There are thousands of miles of dirt roads and trails in southeastern Utah that offer ample opportunities for various types of off-road vehicle riding, however, there is just one Arch Canyon, with it’s irreplaceable cultural sites and artifacts.

# Arch Canyon has not been comprehensively surveyed for archaeological resources, but an independent professional archaeologist that has conducted limited surveys and fieldwork in the canyon estimates that there are more than 100 undocumented cultural sites in the canyon, some of which could be impacted by the vehicle route in the bottom of the canyon, and others indirectly impacted, either maliciously or accidentally, by the increased access provided by motorized vehicles.

# Allowing vehicles to drive approximately 8 miles up this canyon, crossing the stream 60 times for a one way trip to reach the U.S. Forest Service boundary where motorized vehicles are prohibited, cannot be justified. Vehicles cross the stream 120 times for the short roundtrip in the canyon, stirring up sediment, dripping oil and other fluids at each stream crossing, altering stream banks and tearing out native vegetation along the way. BLM does not know the effects such use is having, or will have on the continued survival of three native fish species. One of more of the native fish species in Arch Canyon’s stream could be a unique, genetically distinct species having been separated from the larger population for perhaps a million years.

# I request that BLM fully analyze the direct, indirect and cumulative impacts that off-road vehicle use has on the cultural and natural resources in Arch Canyon, and to honor the traditional and ceremonial values in Arch Canyon for which Native Americans have voiced concern.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Funny thing about the "archaeological resources"... our trip was led by an archaeologist that has done alot of research/inventory in the area :cool: I guess he doesn't think it needs to be closed ;)

kkemp

Sent. I've been planning to get down there and see Arch Canyon and Hotel Rock. Guess I better hurry. Hopefully, they want win this one too.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
i am going to send a letter was well but i am unsure on what to put in the letter

could somebody help me out with this?

Seth

These go to 11
Opening:
  • Explain who you are.
  • The outdoor hobbies you participate in.
  • Any clubs (U4, BRC, USA-ALL Etc) that you are a member of.
  • The principals you adhere to when off-roading (Tread Lightly).
2nd:
  • State that you have learned of some groups efforts to close Arch Canyon to OHV travel.
  • And that you cannot support this "pick an adjective" view.
  • That respectful, ethical use of public lands must be maintained for all.
3rd:
  • The BLM is working on a permit system.
  • This would be a great option to limit use.
  • In favor of plans that protect and maintain, not close.
4th:
  • Its is a county road.
  • Ask that it stay open and receive proper maintenance to prevent negative environmental impact.
5th:
  • Close with any personal experiences with service.
  • Example. The U4WDA's state wide efforts each National Public Lands Day. 3000 man hours, at 20 locations state-wide.
Hope that helps. It's past the submission deadline, but I would send it anyway.

Public comment period ends tomorrow! The article claims they've received 20,000 comments. Wanna guess how many were from motorized users? Not enough! It's not too late to send in a comment!