Scam or not ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have the Jeep Cherokee I built for my daughter on KSL and I have someone who wants to buy it unseen for the full price but I have to use carfactsverifier.com to send him a report. I tried to enter my VIN but it said it wasn't a good VIN. I tried several other VIN check services and the VIN checks out fine. I even paid for a report and everything was good. I sent the report to the guy and he says he will only accept a report from carfactsverifier. I did a scam search on the site and it is listed as suspicious. It looks like I am getting scammed. Has anyone else seen this type of request or used the service ?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Signs that it's a scam - he's willing to pay full price without question, without seeing the Jeep or even asking for details or more pics. He will only text, no phone calls or email. He wants you to use any sort of service that you've never heard before, and insists on it.

Legit buyers may throw one or even two of those flags, but those three together pretty much seal the deal.

Tonkaman

This scam has 2 angles to that I know of.

1st- they get a commission for sending traffic to the VIN checking website. So they just lie to get lots of prople to run their VIN

2nd- They use the site to gather your personal info along with credit card info