Scenic loop to Portland

Tonkaman

We are making a last minute trip up to Portland and I figure I might as well make a real vacation out of it. We can leave town Friday but need to be in Portland the Monday after we leave and otherwise have no restrictions. This leaves me 10 days total to plan a scenic loop my girls will love.

I have been to Portland and surrounding areas before so I'd like to expand this trip with destination more on the go and from sections of the drive.
I'd really like to hit the coastal sites of Oregon and northern California. I'd also open to see places out of the way like Crater lake, Mt hood, Mt. Rainer, or even Washington state. It's hard for me to cram hundreds of good places into just 10 days do in requesting help from you guys.

If you had 10 days to make the loop what would be on your must see list and how would you pull it off?

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
If the back end of the trip is a little more leisure I'd try and skip down the coast then. I'd try and stay at Bandon (Bullards Beach State Park) in Oregon and Jedediah Smith CG in norcal. I have been to Crater Lake and it was neat enough but I probably wouldn't make a huge effort to get back there. A couple years ago my wife and I stopped in Florence for some supper and there was a ton of Broncos in town. I guess there are some dunes there close to the ocean that are fun to rip around in.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park (brochure)

We are planning to go to the Oregon Coast early next summer. My SIL lives in Corvalis but really we want to take our son and puppy to play in the (cold) ocean at Cannon Beach.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'd hit Cannon Beach Oregon, haystack rock from the goonies off the coast. Neat little town, beautiful hiking trails near by, good food

Tonkaman

So I'm just realizing there are dozens of redwood state parks as well as one national park. Any advise on the best ones? Looks like 'Avenue of the Giants' is in Humboldt state park so it's likely the one I'll pick as well as Jedediah smith.

I have been to cannon beach and Newport Beach before but I'm sure we will stop in again for the kiddo, they are both spectacular!

Thanks for recommending Bullards state park it looks neat

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
If you end up zipping up/down the coast I'd try and stop at some of the lighthouses. That was kind of how we decided on where to stop on a previous trip. There are more of them (and closer together) as you get further south in Oregon since it seems like the coast is a bit more rocky. The other cool thing about that is that it makes for great tide pools that your little one will absolutely love exploring. Oregon Light Houses. My favorite is probably Heceta Head with Yaquina Head being a pretty close second.

airmanwilliams

I will have to get my wifes plans from her and post some places up. We had planned on stopping home in Tillamook as well as stopping in Lincoln City. We were also going to check out Devils Punch Bowl and Crater lake. We never went due to my wife having some IVF trouble but I am hoping to take a long weekend and atleast myself taking off sometime soon before winter.

Tonkaman

Can any of you shed some light on how much time I'll need at some of these places? I've tried to squeeze a lot of stops into 10 days but will cut back where is necessary

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock are pretty. If tide is low there are rocks to check out in front of Haystack that are usually teaming with tide creatures. The town is neat and touristy as well and given the time could be a cool place to walk around. I'd say 3+ hours to check out the tide pools, the rock, the beach, and the town. If tide is high and you aren't really interested in window shopping maybe 90 minutes on the beach. (Indian Beach is a pretty cool little beach between Seaside and Cannon Beach if you had more time in this area. Its a cove and the walk to the beach is about 1/4 mile through the trees. A fairly popular place to surf. Rocks on the outside with room for tide pools.)

If I was to stop in Tillamook I'd skip the lighthouse and stop at the factory for cheese and ice cream. If I remember right the lighthouse is out on an island and wasn't that neat. You'll see way better as you head further south. An hour at the factory as long as you bought your little monster a triple scoop cone.

I stopped in Depoe Bay and stretched my legs last time I drove through there. You drive across a big bridge that gives fishing boats access to the harbor. Lots of tourist fishing trips come/go from here. Plenty of room to just pull over for a few minutes.

Devils Punchbowl was foggy and I couldn't see anything because of that. Regardless its right off the highway and there isn't much there even if it is clear. Maybe 45 minutes.

Yaquina Head is the BLM lighthouse. There is a nice visitor center and beach access depending on tide. The beach is cobble with lots of tide pools and is really cool. You have to pay to get in so if you do might as well check out everything thats there. 2-3 hours if tide is low.

Yaquina Bay is public access and is still neat. We walked down to the water when we were here last and enjoyed the sand and cool water. This is another really pretty town (kinda like Depoe Bay but bigger.) Just to see the lighthouse 30 minutes, especially if you had just stopped at the other one. To walk through the harbor down to the ocean maybe another couple hours.

I'll try to add a bit more later. The thing to remember is that most of this stuff is right off the highway and to just walk up to it just doesn't take much time. Adding beach time as you know can be ten minutes to many hours.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Multnomah Falls is VERY cool. It is one of the tallest continually running falls in the states. You can look at it from below (30 minutes), walk up to a bridge 1/3 the way up (1 hour) or trek up to the top and check out the stream that feeds the fall and stand on a platform off the cliff face looking down. To get to the top is pretty darn steep with switchbacks. (2 hours) I think its worth the effort to see the view from up top and the Columbia River area is neat. Its pretty close to Portland so depending on your plans while you are there you could bug out to the falls one evening, or hit it on the way in/out of town.

Heceta Head light house outside of Florence is one of my favorite. You park below in a cove and walk up maybe half a mile. I thought that was on the list yesterday but looks like it might have been removed.

I guess a couple comments more about the Oregon coast. I can't remember if I already said this but it seems that as you go from north to south on the coast you get long straight sandy beaches around Seaside and Cannon Beach and the futher south you get more into rocky coastline and really just coves with some sand. The long sandy stuff is neat to walk along for longer stretches and whatnot but the coves are certainly better for tide pools and watching the waves crash on the rocks which is my favorite.

The towns along the coast are generally small and at least the touristy parts that you would want to walk around are even smaller. You can extend time in a town if you needed or wanted to but there really isn't a ton there. Also, there aren't a ton of restaurants or food places along the way either so don't necessarily plan on seeing a McDonalds every 10 minutes. There aren't any food chains in Cannon Beach but up in Seaside there are a few.

When I was 13 or so my family pulled our pop up tent and camped up the coast. We went through winnemucca to crater lake, down into norcal to the redwoods, then all the way up the coast to the columbia river. We did it in about 10-14 days and drove a bit each day before stopping at another state park for the afternoon/night. We were able to go to some other really cool places (hawaii, cancun, disney world, etc, my dad traveled a lot for work so we always used flyer miles) as a family growing up but this trip to oregon was always my favorite. Still is one of the best memories I have from my childhood. Maybe it was because of the relaxed nature of the trip which was uncharacteristic for my family but we just had so much fun hanging out on the beach and playing in the tide pools. Anyway, I've blabbed on too much about this stuff already so I'll just wish you guys a great trip.

I found this advisory while looking at the Beverly Beach State Parks site:
Effective Aug. 19 at 10 a.m., a statewide ban is in place for all campfires and open flames in properties owned and managed by Oregon State Parks, as well as the ocean shores. This includes but is not limited to fire pits, tiki torches, and candles. The use of propane stoves and/or charcoal briquettes for cooking may be allowed, but are subject to local fire restrictions. Please check with park staff. This ban will remain in effect for at least one week and will be re-evaluated based on fire status, weather and guidance from state and local fire officials.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
.....When I was 13 or so my family pulled our pop up tent and camped up the coast. We went through winnemucca to crater lake, down into norcal to the redwoods, then all the way up the coast to the columbia river. We did it in about 10-14 days and drove a bit each day before stopping at another state park for the afternoon/night. We were able to go to some other really cool places (hawaii, cancun, disney world, etc, my dad traveled a lot for work so we always used flyer miles) as a family growing up but this trip to oregon was always my favorite. Still is one of the best memories I have from my childhood. Maybe it was because of the relaxed nature of the trip which was uncharacteristic for my family but we just had so much fun hanging out on the beach and playing in the tide pools........

I've wanted to do that trip for a while. Might need to get that planned :D