School me on Hi Lift Jacks :)

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Need to buy a Hi Lift for the CJ. Where is the best place to buy one and what lenght (48" vs 60") and what make (totally cast or partially)?

Thanks,
Jason

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
scary yet necessary if you have a problem and need to lift your vehicle. They have many uses. I use the 48" steel base, but I wish I had the cast. :-\

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Has anyone actually had a newer (produced in the last 10 years) STEEL/Cast Hi-lift fail? If so what failed?

I have a couple misc Hi-Lifts kicking around, one of the older ones is a steel unit that has been beat to death over the years, and short of a pin rebuild kit, it has never been a problem... Both the cast & steel versions are rated at the same load 7k... We had a steel one under a LARGE rock at a service project last week... under the weight (~4 tons) you could see a slight bend in the steel jack, however it held just fine and after releasing the load, it had not deformed. A cast "could" snap as they allow very little deformation and buckling compared to the steel... Thoughts?

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
cruiseroutfit said:
Has anyone actually had a newer (produced in the last 10 years) STEEL/Cast Hi-lift fail? If so what failed?

I have a couple misc Hi-Lifts kicking around, one of the older ones is a steel unit that has been beat to death over the years, and short of a pin rebuild kit, it has never been a problem... Both the cast & steel versions are rated at the same load 7k... We had a steel one under a LARGE rock at a service project last week... under the weight (~4 tons) you could see a slight bend in the steel jack, however it held just fine and after releasing the load, it had not deformed. A cast "could" snap as they allow very little deformation and buckling compared to the steel... Thoughts?

i have seen this same thing, my entire jack was buckling, but it held. i still use it all the time........ i have had so much pressure on it, that it's taken 2 people with all of our strength to push the handle down..... now i think about it, thats kinda scary :eek:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
All though the 60" one is indeed ideal on the trail, carring a 60" jack in a Jeep style rig sux. I have never had a problem with my 48" jack and it will mount side to side.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
cruiseroutfit said:

You should be right about the bend/break argument. Obviously they are both rated for the weight and should both work. I think the cast ones have a little nicer "feel" to them, which is irrelevant when compared to say, price. In general I don't like cast stuff under load though, paranoia or not.

Col Mustard

I got the 60" and cut it down to size to fit my TJ. This gave me a 54" jack.
I'm on my second cast jack. The actual carrier cracked on mine on both sides where the pins run through. :eek: The jack held the load but wouldn't lower. I've also had the jack bow quite a bit but never break.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Get the biggest one you can carry.

Steel/cast bends and bends back. Pure cast snaps. Seen both situations.

My 60" steel/cast will lift an entire side of my Tacoma without complaint and without working hard.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i have three hi-lifts, new 60 and a new 48. but the one in the jeep (and the only one i have ever used) is a 48 that is older than i am. my dad used it in his truck before i was around. a rebuild kit every once and a while will be necessary. but they all do the same thing.

R

rockdog

I about lost my left eye to a hi lift handle. I've got a 48" off brand one we found on the side of the road you can have if you come and get it.

Cherokeester

I've used Hi lifts for years. Back in the old days we called em Handy Man jacks. I have moved everything with them, rocks, rigs, hot tubs etc etc... Never had one fail on me. Cast or steel. I have had the handle rebound on me nearly knocking me out but that was my fault, not the jack. :eek: I would not leave home without one. I buy mine at Cal-ranch or Six states has em too. BTW you can use the handle to repair a tie rod in a pinch...

Bone Down

I went to Harbor Freight for the first time ever about 4 weeks ago, I recall seeing a Hi Lift style jack there not sure on the size and/or the type (steel or cast) but seems to me it was only 20 bucks, should this one be avoided??