school me on moving to utah and tooele area.

joshbmx1201

UAV MECHANIC
wife and I are considering a move in the next year or so. currently live in so cal (I promise we wont ruin your state). I previously lived in Colorado and shes from southern California. were both tired of being taxed to death and don't really want to raise our kids here. I used to come to salt lake a fair amount for work and always enjoyed it. with my current job I could transfer to work full time in dugway Utah. since id be working in dugway we would consider living in tooele to be about as close as I can. im thinking salt lake area is at least 1.5 hours each way??

what is cost of living like? thoughts on tooele? wheeling close by? housing market? people? my wife is just finishing up school as a registered dental assistant. work for her? would she have trouble finding work being non Mormon? we both enjoy being outside, hiking , camping, exploring, I havnt been snowboarding the last few years but would love to again and would love to teach her and the kids.

I know this is a lot of questions and ive started doing a lot of the research myself. seems like most of are taxes would be cut In half as far as state tax, sales tax, vehicle fees, etc... housing prices are a little higher than I was hoping just searching online.

thanks for any info you guys can offer me. especially on the tooele area

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I moved to Tooele from Eastern Kern County in SoCal 8 years ago. Personally, Tooele is getting a bit big for me, but can't imagine living in SLC. Housing market is in flux, some good deals to be had though. I've seen some houses on the market forever, and some less than a few days. The job market in Tooele is pretty tight, but SLC isn't more than 30-45 minutes or so, and there is a reasonable bus service. Utah enjoys a fairly low unemployment rate currently. The whole "LDS - not LDS" isn't as prevalent as in years past, but is still out there. More so in some areas than others. By and large, I've loved moving here. People will roll their eyes when you say you moved here from Cali. I was always quick to follow that SoCal was where I lived, not who I am... As for working at Dugway, Tooele is about 50 minutes to the gate, much farther if you settle in SLC or beyond. Vanpools are available and are pretty reasonable. Wheeling? West Desert is just over the mountains to the west, plenty to look at and Explore, I still have lots I want to see and visit. What you want to do depends on what you have to wheel. Hope that helps.

I'm biased since I grew up in Tooele and live in Stansbury Park now, but I love it out here! I worked at Dugway for a couple of years back in the 80's. As mentioned, it is almost an hour drive from Tooele. I can't imagine living in SLC and commuting to Dugway. There are maybe 10 days each winter where the commute to Dugway was pretty bad - much of it is a narrow, two-lane road and goes over Johnson Pass. Most people who work there setup a carpool or vanpool - I know I did.

After So Cali, housing prices here will be a dream. Median home is around 180-190k. I don't think the LDS thing will be an issue in getting work. I have people working for me who are both LDS and non-LDS - I don't view them as having any "divide". I think it probably affects socializing with neighbors just because so much of LDS folk's social life rotates around church activities. Take all that with a grain of salt as I'm active LDS...

The wheeling is different out in the desert - think more like Salton Sea or Barstow area. There is always Moab, St George, and the mountains if you want variety.

Let us know if you have any specific questions. Hopefully you will find Utah welcoming despite all of the California transplant stereotypes.

rondo

rondo
Dugway has van pools that people use all the time. A friend of mine lived on Dugway in one of the old govt. houses. He was a contractor so they may be available? Of course they loved the no commute but there is very little to do there otherwise. just getting to the front gate is not the end of the commute. some work areas are another hour drive after that!
I lived in tooele and have no complaints. painted my jeep in the backyard and neighbors never complained :)

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Hardcore? Well, Rattlesnake is as tough as you can make it, about 30 minutes away, and COnstrictor is just beyond the end of RS. There are more trails down near Delta, sand dunes at Little Sahara. Pony Express Trail isn't far away and lots of places to explore along the way. American Fork Canyon is a favorite. Lots of places and easy to get to. And lots of scenery.

Houndoc

Although I don't really want more people moving to the Tooele Valley, it is by far your best choice if will work at Dugway. From Tooele area (Tooele, Stansbury, Grantsville) 45-60 minutes into Salt Lake.

Wife should be able to find a job in the Tooele Valley I would suspect. The LDS-Non LDS thing not going to be an issue with jobs. I own a business in Salt Lake (veterinary clinic) and have yet to ask a potential employee about their church membership. In the last 18 years in practice, I think only 20-30% of employees have been LDS even though my partner and I are both active members. I agree with the previous comment that the only hard part is that social life tends to be very focused around church so can be a little harder to get to know people. If you reach out I honestly don't think it will be an issue as far as making friends with neighbors.

Housing prices used to be much lower than in Salt Lake area, not sure if that is really still the case.

The three main communities in the valley all have very different personalities. Tooele is your basic small city. Stansbury Park a giant suburb set on a lake (huge plus to water lovers, although non-motorized use only, except electric motors.) Grantsville is much more farm-town in nature, even though most of us commute to Salt Lake. Lots of horses, goats and cattle in and around town. We are protective of that, and it doesn't sit well when people move in and then want the smells and amenities of the city.

capt scotty

I could help you find a home. It's what I do when not playing. Utah has a huge assortment of things to do. We are currently building homes in Grantsville 1/2/ acre 1300 sq ft with a basement and 3 car garage for about 200k. Tooele county is building fast and amenities will follow. Lots of choices of where to live. Good Luck hope you make the move.

joshbmx1201

UAV MECHANIC
I could help you find a home. It's what I do when not playing. Utah has a huge assortment of things to do. We are currently building homes in Grantsville 1/2/ acre 1300 sq ft with a basement and 3 car garage for about 200k. Tooele county is building fast and amenities will follow. Lots of choices of where to live. Good Luck hope you make the move.

thanks everyone for al the help so far. do you have a link to the homes you mentioned in Grantsville to get an idea? ive been searching online and it seems like there is a lot of new construction in tooele area?

capt scotty

thanks everyone for al the help so far. do you have a link to the homes you mentioned in Grantsville to get an idea? ive been searching online and it seems like there is a lot of new construction in tooele area?

You can go to www.munfordmarketing.com click on the Tooele county and there are three different communities. West Point Meadows is right in Tooele city, Anderson Ranch and Carriage Crossing are located in Grantsville. We have a large selection of lot sizes and floor plans. I was looking at some of the plans for Carriage Crossing with huge garages (3 cars wide with one bay 60 feet deep. great for toys. There will be a pop up asking to talk. that is not me. that is someone else on the team. I would be glad to help you find what you need. I go by Captscotty on here my real name is Scott Jacobson feel free to call me if you want to look around at the projects next time you are in town. My number is 801-971-3876. hope to hear from you.

Last edited: