South-East Utah SE Utah Road Trip

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
My family and I are heading down through the 4 corners area, and back up through Hanksville. The general list of highlights include Hovenweep, 4 Corners, San Juan Hill, Mule Point, Valley of the Gods, Goblin Valley, and quite possibly, the Wedge on the way home.

There will be a great deal of highway miles, but I am looking for highlights to see along the way with some dirt involved. I am wide open to suggestions.

The rough itinerary will look something like this:
Day 1: Drive to Moab on highway, making some stops for work. Camp in Moab area.

Day 2: Drive south making a stop in Monticello and Blanding, then heading to Hovenweep via Black Steer Canyon, and then on to 4 corners. Likely looking for a place to camp near bluff without making the day too long.

Day 3: San Juan Hill, Butler Wash Panel and other POI, before heading toward Valley of the Gods and Mexican Hat. Likely camping in Valley of the Gods, but quite possibly camping closer to Natural Bridges.

Day 4: Natural Bridges. Now the biggest question, head to Halls Crossing and take the ferry to Bullfrog, then head up Bullfrog Nottom Road into Capital Reef, or head on HWY 95 up to Hanksvile by way of Hite?

-If we go by way of Bullfrog, We will camp near Capital Reef before heading through Hanksville and Goblin Valley Day 5 before heading for home.

-If we go by way of HWY 95 up to Hanksville, we will likely camp near Goblin Valley, then work our way North through the Swell to get home Day 5.

If I wasn't going for work, I wouldn't be covering so much ground so fast, but I have to go through Moab, Monticello, Blanding, Mexican Hat, and Hanksville. Since I am taking my family, I have to keep the dirt to a moderate amount, and camp in descent areas each night.

Thoughts and highlights on sites I shouldn't miss?