Serpentine belt?

Nagrom

How do I tighten my serpentine belt on my 96 4.0 L Jeep cherokee?! I changed my alternator and now the damn thing is squeaking! :mad:

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Nagrom said:
How do I tighten my serpentine belt on my 96 4.0 L Jeep cherokee?! I changed my alternator and now the damn thing is squeaking! :mad:

What did you loosen to get it off? Just follow the belt around, there should be some kind of swivel, or tensioner.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
EKSJAE said:
on my 90 XJ the adjustment is at the power steering pump. i dont think there is that much diferent between 90 and 96. but what do i know?

Same on my 88. Ofcourse the bolt that made it easy to tighten was missing so I just used a really long pry bar.

Nagrom

EKSJAE said:
on my 90 XJ the adjustment is at the power steering pump. i dont think there is that much diferent between 90 and 96. but what do i know?
My haynes manual shows it on the power steering pump as well. But my 96 is way different than the pictures! I think they changed it after 95, cause my friends 91 looks just like the book but I can't find a way to do it on mine at all.
I think I'm just goin to tackle this on sunday, I'll deal with the ugly noises it's makin until then -_-

ALF

SURE!?
I just replaced mine on my 96 look towards the front of the valve cover on the right directly in front of it is a bolt that is long and runs behind the tensioner pully wrench on that and it will tighten the tensioner pully but you have to loosen the bolt going through the pully first. I hope that makes sense. I could get pics tommorrow

Nagrom

alf4444 said:
I just replaced mine on my 96 look towards the front of the valve cover on the right directly in front of it is a bolt that is long and runs behind the tensioner pully wrench on that and it will tighten the tensioner pully but you have to loosen the bolt going through the pully first. I hope that makes sense. I could get pics tommorrow
I found the bolt or at least where the bolt should be! The piece of excrement was broken off from the top half. The bottom half is the only thing keeping the tension pully from getting looser. So I have to get a new bolt and see if I can get a pair of vice grips down in there to get the other half out. what fun! Anyway thanks for all the help guys! :cool:

ALF

SURE!?
Nagrom said:
I found the bolt or at least where the bolt should be! The piece of excrement was broken off from the top half. The bottom half is the only thing keeping the tension pully from getting looser. So I have to get a new bolt and see if I can get a pair of vice grips down in there to get the other half out. what fun! Anyway thanks for all the help guys! :cool:

That Sucks :eek: good luck

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I had my tensioner pully fall off while I was wheeling in corner canyon. that sucked fan chewed the hell out of my belt.

Nagrom

trd270 said:
I had my tensioner pully fall off while I was wheeling in corner canyon. that sucked fan chewed the hell out of my belt.
Luckily I have'nt had a single incident up corner...Yet. Which is amazing considering I'm up there almost every other day. Well I did dent the crap out of my F-150's fender, But it still ran so that did'nt count :D