Shaved 14 bolt, 1/4 inch thick enough???

koondawg

I am wondering if 1/4 inch is thick enough to weld on the shaved diff? I hear people use 1/2 inch, but is that needed?
any one?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
1/4" is probably strong enough to keep rocks from poking through, but how are you going to bolt your cover plate to it?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just ground the big 'uglies' off the bottom to make it go over the rocks better rather than cut the thing apart and reweld it. It took about 2 hours, but looks worth it.

Bud

'98 ZJ
mbryson said:
I just ground the big 'uglies' off the bottom to make it go over the rocks better rather than cut the thing apart and reweld it. It took about 2 hours, but looks worth it.
that's what I did, I was smelling the sweet smell of metal for about two days afterwards, if only they made some kind of dust-mask or something, hmmmmm

R

rockdog

Grind it off, but don't go to deep. I loved grinding on mine so much that the bottom bolt hole for the cover just disappeared. :eek: Now it leaks all the time. I've thought about choping the bottom off and doing what your talking about. But have'nt had the nerve to do it yet. I read on pirate how to do it, if you need info. Check there.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Bud said:
that's what I did, I was smelling the sweet smell of metal for about two days afterwards, if only they made some kind of dust-mask or something, hmmmmm

Paint respirator :D = no black boogers for 2-3 days afterwards....:D

rockdog said:
Grind it off, but don't go to deep. I loved grinding on mine so much that the bottom bolt hole for the cover just disappeared. :eek: Now it leaks all the time. I've thought about choping the bottom off and doing what your talking about. But have'nt had the nerve to do it yet. I read on pirate how to do it, if you need info. Check there.

got pics? {I wonder if it's the same as what I've done?}

koondawg

This is worse than Oprah

This is all I got, my phone camera is sweet:)
i just took a 7inch cutting blalde, put it on my skillsaw, and went to work.
I then used angle grinder to clean up. I am still going to shave just a bit on the sides.
I also think I will try the 1/4 with LOTS of rv silicone;)

Attachments

• 14 bolt shaved.bmp
    55.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 14 bolt shave.bmp
    55.8 KB · Views: 45

Bud

'98 ZJ
mbryson said:
Paint respirator :D = no black boogers for 2-3 days afterwards....:D

Yeah, I knew they were out there somewhere, but it was nothing pulling the neck of my shirt over my nose and a couple of farmers blows couldn't take care of :D

got pics? {I wonder if it's the same as what I've done?}

I'll try to get some tonight when I go to work on the steering some more....

Bud

'98 ZJ
koondawg said:
This is all I got, my phone camera is sweet:)
i just took a 7inch cutting blalde, put it on my skillsaw, and went to work.
I then used angle grinder to clean up. I am still going to shave just a bit on the sides.
I also think I will try the 1/4 with LOTS of rv silicone;)
Have you welded much on center sections?

Bud

'98 ZJ
koondawg said:
no I have not, I dont even know what you are talking about:)

The center section is the center section of the axle, or R&P housing, diff, pumpkin, whichever, everyone says it a different way.....what I was referrring to is welding on cast material, have you welded on that much? If not I could offer you some guidance if you'd like.....