Shipping Large Items

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Anyone on here have experience in shipping/packing large items?

I have a set of 42 inch Iroks that I have for sale on here and I am getting zero play. I did not want to put them on Pirate so people can tell me "they are over priced" and "they wished I was closer" but I think I am going to have to resort to doing so. I have never shipped anything that large and I do not have a forklift at my disposal. The good thing is if I have to pay someone to put them on a pallet, secure them and ship them it will likely be on the buyers dime.

Any recommendations of who to talk to? If you are in the shipping business and can help out initially, during the quote process and when it finally comes time to ship that would be greatly appreciated.

3... 2... 1... GO!

and thanks!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I shipped a set of 4, 37" Krawlers with beadlocks on a pallet thru Forward Air. Tied them down with 4 ratcheting straps and IIRC, I had to find a pallet big enough to make them fit. If you have to, you could build your own pallet (or add onto one) to make it fit. Forward Air charges by the dimensions and the weight. The downside is you have to drop your stuff off at their Terminal in SLC, out by Rocky Mountain Raceway. They are fairly affordable, considering what you're doing.

Seems like most Pirate guys will ask you to cover the shipping... so be prepared for that, price your tires right and in your ad specify that buyer pays shipping.

Sorry to hear they wouldn't sell locally... :(

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've done the same with large items. Forward air is pretty reasonable for size. Just the terminal drop. Another option I've used is paying someone to haul while they go on a trip or similar. There's a hauling section on PBB as well that could come in handy for you as well?

STAG

I have experience in building crates and stuff for large items, but for a set of tires all you will need is a pallet and strap them to it. Make a secure way for the straps to hold on tight.

idahoyj

I bought some 42s on here from a dude in Denver, several weeks ago.
I created an account on freightquote.com and they gave me $25 off of my first ship through them. Their best rate was through USF Reddaway. I called USF directly for a quote assuming that cutting out the middle man would save even more money. USF wanted double what freightquote wanted! I booked everything through freightquote and all the dude had to do was print out 4 bill of ladding sheets with my info on them, and label the tires as 1 of 4, 2 of 4, etc and drop them at the nearest dock. It was really easy for both of us.
It cost me about $150 total and I had them from Denver to the dock in Twin Falls ID in 2 days.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
havent shipped anything big that, but i would just put something along the lines of 'buyer pays shipping'. some ads ive seen even leave setting up the shipping details up to the buyer, and the seller just drops them off somewhere.

RockChucker

I sold and shipped a set of 5 sticky treps a year or so ago. I put my price high enough that I got what I wanted out of it and offered to pay the shipping if they paid full asking price. Worked pretty good. I got they money I wanted out of the tires and they got "free" shipping.