General Tech Shop Benches

Caleb

I'm looking to build/buy a nice bench. What are some suggestions on building or buying a nice bench. Here is what I am looking for:

- ~18" deep X ~6-10ft long
- Solid, I want to be able to bolt a nice bench vice on to it and not have to worry about breaking it.
- Fairly tall, I want to be able stand at it or sit at it on a stool.
- Look nice.

This won't primarily be used for anything offroad related, this is primarily for a business I have started. I don't want to have a solid steel bench like I would build if I were using it for fabrication, etc. So, what kind of suggestions do you guys have?

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
I made my shop bench frame out of 1 1/2 box tube all welded together and then for the top I took about 25 2x4s and screwed them all together. It is pretty heavy but super sturdy as well. I was planning on sanding the top flat but haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm sure you could use smaller pieces of wood and it would be sturdy but weigh less.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm looking to build/buy a nice bench. What are some suggestions on building or buying a nice bench. Here is what I am looking for:

- ~18" deep X ~6-10ft long
- Solid, I want to be able to bolt a nice bench vice on to it and not have to worry about breaking it.
- Fairly tall, I want to be able stand at it or sit at it on a stool.
- Look nice.

This won't primarily be used for anything offroad related, this is primarily for a business I have started. I don't want to have a solid steel bench like I would build if I were using it for fabrication, etc. So, what kind of suggestions do you guys have?

I still like the one I made for my house. It's 2 layers of 3/4" plywood laminated together, then covered with 16 gauge galvanized steel. It's bent down all the corners and welded, then glued on.

That's all attached to the top of some old steel kitchen cabinets, but you could use whatever.

For where my vise goes, I have a 2x2 steel "leg" going to the floor, with a sandwich plate under the table through-bolted to the vise.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I still like the one I made for my house. It's 2 layers of 3/4" plywood laminated together, then covered with 16 gauge galvanized steel. It's bent down all the corners and welded, then glued on.

That's all attached to the top of some old steel kitchen cabinets, but you could use whatever.

For where my vise goes, I have a 2x2 steel "leg" going to the floor, with a sandwich plate under the table through-bolted to the vise.

This is close to the one I wanted to make. I made mine out of 2x4's cut and screwed for the top. 2x6's finished off the framing and leg supports. Then I wanted to lay the 16 gauge on it like Carl said. Makes clean up nice when spilling oil.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This is close to the one I wanted to make. I made mine out of 2x4's cut and screwed for the top. 2x6's finished off the framing and leg supports. Then I wanted to lay the 16 gauge on it like Carl said. Makes clean up nice when spilling oil.

For anyone wanting to do something like this, I got the wood all glued together, then just dropped it off at Kingdon Sheet Metal and they took care of the rest. :cool:

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I built a bench with 2x4 framing, 3/4" particle board surface supported by recycled 4x4 legs (tore down the wedding pergola left by the previous owner of the house...). I screwed the top down with them spaced about 3" apart along all 4 sides and for the runners. Strong enough I could stand on it (not that I would though!!!). Measures 8' long and 30" deep with a lower shelf 18" deep. And it sits about 41" high. A little tall but I'm 6'3" and its a good height for me to stand at. I really need to get some barstools... Oh, all 4 legs are a different height since the garage floor slopes for drainage. And if I had a router, I'd bullnose the front edge.
garage016.jpg

Man, I can't believe my garage was ever that clean...

I have my vise mounted to this rolling box/bench. Made from a wood shipping crate, I need to reinforce the top someday. I keep meaning to mount the bench grinder, but the box is too convenient for almosmt everything else I need to do in the garage...
Box003.jpg

Pretty they ain't, but functional...