Side-by-Sides on the Rocks

Craig S

Commando
OSRC is developing rules for side-by-side classes for rock crawling and rock racing. The concept is to put side-by-sides on the stock class rock crawling courses for points. With this concept a side-by-side could win the overall event title if they competed in all events. Ideas and comment period is now open.

Thanks,
Craig

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sounds awesome, those things are so cool to watch in the rocks and like Ryan said the more people the better this event will be.

D

Deleted member 12904

Take my advise for what it is. Free advise. But I have raced SxS and been apart of racing them for 4 years now. This will grow if you do two thigs. Keep entry fee under $100 I don't know why but over that a lot of people won't show. And two keep the course to where people won't damage their machines. Most people have $15+ k into them with even more in the $30 + k range. And unlike rock crawler they did not build them to lay on the side or rip plastics off of. People just won't come back if they bend the $750 pro armor doors on the new rzr the family uses at the cabin.

NYCEGUY01

That sounds pretty spot on...

I know when trying to get friends to come with me to the Wendover Race I heard 2 reasons over and over why they didn't want to race.

1. The entry fee way too high. They all said they could go to Knolls or the dunes for virtually free.
2. They didn't want to tear up their machines.

I am in the minority of SXS owners.
I am into mine in the $30k neighborhood. I built mine to beat on. Tipping over or tearing it up a little is what is fun to me.
I didn't buy a new Chromoly cage just because it looked cool ( ok partially I did...)

Out in Wendover I had it on its side in the 1st 5 miles...lol
I literally bent up the same exact door Jacob is talking about in his post.

Most guys I know get sick over new scratches in the paint...
They also have Season passes to the Dunes so getting them to come pay to crawl vs. free entry into the Dunes will be a challenge, especially if the price is high...

Last edited:

Craig S

Commando
Great comments, please keep them coming. I have a SXS myself and will use it set up the courses. I will try and set up courses that are safe and will not inflict damage needlessly. Do we need one large class for everybody or should it be split up?

NYCEGUY01

In the Rocks things like motor size etc... don't really matter.

For different classes I would think something easy like 30" and bigger tires in one class and smaller tires in the other.

UFAB

Can you extract a SXS with a lift hoist by using a strap vertically, will the stock Aluminum roll cage fall off?

NYCEGUY01

You may bend a stock cage lifting it that way with a strap depending where and how you attach it.
The stock cages are thin and weak...

Id think any aftermarket cage should be OK though.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
A stock cage will do fine as long as you are smart about strapping it up, They are made out of .090 tube and actually have fairly strong anchor points

Chris @ ARR

Awesome concept.

Rule wise, one class makes sense. Maybe two tops. Different vehicles will have different advantages depending on the course layout. Limit tire size to 32", limit weight to 1800 lbs, and require 4x4/transfer case as well as a powersports drivetrain combination. No need to have mini 4400 buggies on course with us. Outside of that, just standard safety stuff. But understand that the more stuff you require, the less people will be eligible. If you require solid non opening doors, that knocks out 99.999% of UTV owners, including both of our KOH cars.

Having ten classes for every possible scenario would mean less populated classes, and that tends to keep people away. If you do two classes, make it based on tire size. Anything up to 27.5", and anything 28" to 32". Or similar. To be fair, anyone on 25.5's will have a hard time doing the same line as a guy running 31's.

Entry fees should be low to keep people interested. Courses should not have guaranteed damage, but should be difficult. Upper Helldorado's gatekeeper is doable in a UTV, but almost always destroys the right side plastics. So nothing like this.

Craig S

Commando
Thanks for the input. So far I am seeing a propensity for classes based on tire size, low entry fees, and weight. Several people have mentioned body damage as an issue. The stock lines are usually easy and are not as difficult as the Gatekeeper in Moab so I don't think that will be an issue. I am not sure that we will need a class break next year. It would depend on how many people show up and what they are driving. How does 25-28" and 29-32" sound for a class break on tire size? 1800 lb. weight limit. Standard safety equipment would apply such as helmets and belts. Standard doors should be OK. How does everybody feel about no doors for the rock crawl portion of the event? I think that doors should be required for the Rock Cross event on Saturday.