Skyline Drive Trail

Royvfx

Hey Guys,

So my brother just graduated from high school and will be leaving to the navy in less then a month so I used my points to fly him down here to SLC so I could see him before he left. Our father decided to tag along and were hoping to do a lot of fishing and camping while were all together.

So my questions is does anyone have any personal experience with Skyline Drive Trail or any other nice camping trails here in Utah? I'm already going to be headed to some of the lakes to camp out such as strawberry but would be nice to go to some of the dirt trails and show them the scenery.

Heres what I found on skyline that made me think of it.

Skyline Drive

driver920

i grew up in sanpete, camped, fished, hunted and played all along the skyline most of my life it is your average dirt road this time of year but i do know the forest service has done alot of work to the road in years past there are alot of places to camp along the road and it is a very nice drive there are alot of little ponds all across there some of the canyons that come off the skyline can be a little rough in spots but as for the skyline drive its self say from spanish fork canyon all the way to salina you can drive a car across with out worry of damage at the top of fairview canyon there is a spot where you have to come out on the highway for about 10 miles or so and there are several lakes and ponds in that area as you go further down the trail towards I70 the fishable ponds get fewer but there are a few down several of the cayons that lead down off the top and you can get gas and supplies down at the bottom of fairview canyon mt pleasant canyon and ephriam canyon on the west side hunting tone canyon and in oragnevill below joes valley res. of the east side

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
What would you like to know? I was up there last weekend and it was still a bit cold at night for some folks, but the fish were hungry. Just keep in mind all of the tributaries(streams that feed into bodies of water) are closed right now in that area for spawning. I am heading to Strawberry tomorrow.

Royvfx

Just how the trail condition was which has been answered. thanks for all the great info driver920

Also if you can recommend any good camping areas. If some of the reservoirs were better than for fishing/camping due to better fishing or terrain. Just kinda getting some input on it before I head on down there.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Under dry conditions a family sedan can drive about all of the dirt roads down there, but if it gets wet there are some sections you wouldn't even want to be on. I was fishing mostly on bright colored Rooster tails and they were hitting about every 3rd or 4th cast. But they also hit Powerbait if you aren't familiar with working spinners or flies. Most bodies up water up there will have good fishing due to being early in the season, but always better if it's overcast or a couple hours before dark, as fish go out deeper when it's sunny.

Chevycrew

Keep in mind, there are different sections of skyline drive and these two reports you are getting are about the different sections.

black_zj, take a look at his link and see he is talking about the southern portion.

driver920

well the only place i have fished this year was down at town res. which is off the skyline towards mayfeild there are alot of signs to direct you to where you are going but the fishing was good even in mid afternoon with some wind now on thing i forgot to say at the top of fairview canyon the actual skyline road turns south before you get to huntington/mammath res down the paved road about two miles is the turn off for millers flat and about 2 miles farther is cleveland res all will be good fishing millers flat is about five miles down a very well maintained dirt road and that road will conect to the skyline road i know there is a little cut off trail that will go over to skyline drive and potters ponds and the last time i was over that road it was a little rough but i have not been on it for years there are a few camp grounds at the top of fairview one at gooseberry one at boulger pond and one at cleveland res and one at the miller flat turn off that are pay sites but i have not been in one in so long i could not tell you if they have put water in any of them but they do have out houses and there are potties at most of the ponds but for the most part it is primitive camping there are alot of pull offs all across the skyline to suit any camping need from tents to 35 foot trailers and i think sanpete county has a pretty good map of the trail system down there and the forest service maps are pretty good as they have done so much work down there in the past also the skyline drive road is part of the great western trail system so finding maps to plan your trip shouldnt be an issue and getting lost on roads there rarely happens and when it does just go south or north till you hit pavement or untill you see a sign pointing you to a town have fun that is one of the prettiest areas on earth as far as i am concernd the only reason i am up here in this city is the wifes job is here and as soon as i can i am going back south because i love it down there

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Keep in mind, there are different sections of skyline drive and these two reports you are getting are about the different sections.

black_zj, take a look at his link and see he is talking about the southern portion.

Yes, I was there less than 2 weeks ago, where did you get confused?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes, I was there less than 2 weeks ago, where did you get confused?

You were on the southern Skyline (commonly known as Skyline III)? I was under the impression it is still gated and snow blocked in sections. Can you confirm you were on the section south of Fairview Canyon (again, Skyline III) and it was in fact open?

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I don't know about fairview, but from jet fox res to the horse shoe is clear. There was snow just south of jet fox, and some snow still at the cut by horse shoe of a week and a half ago. It is melting fast though.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
You were on the southern Skyline (commonly known as Skyline III)? I was under the impression it is still gated and snow blocked in sections. Can you confirm you were on the section south of Fairview Canyon (again, Skyline III) and it was in fact open?

We always access it from Fairview. On this trip we didn't go down Skyline but I called the ranger district office for that area and they said it was open, they have even already tested the water sources for the season. Spring came early up there this year, I just hope it doesn't get so dry that they start closing access to camping. When I pulled my tent stakes up all but the last 2 inches were completely dry.